Some 18th century style winter camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
With the current "winter" weather we are having here in Iowa, and some recent posts about camps/shelters/gear, it got me thinking about some winter treks I and some friends have taken. I looked, but I couldn't find any digital pics of me, but I here are a few of some buddies/friends from trips in the last couple years.

We try to limit all clothing and gear to what was available in the late 1700's. It gets ... challenging. Either humping our gear in on our backs, or pulling it in on toboggans when there's snow. And using snowshoes when it's deep enough. For safety, we tend to pack along a modern water filter stashed in our gear somewhere. For drinking water, we usually chip a hole through the ice instead of melting snow - it takes a long time and a lot of snow to melt into a little bit of water.

swannyincamp.jpg

canadiens.jpg

wintercamps004.jpg

Pike-camp1.jpg

SatCamp2.jpg

SatcrossingLoon.jpg

SP05-uphill.jpg

Over here, many of the State Forestry Departments offer a "browse cutting permit" for a $10 fee. It was set up for people to go onto State owned land and cut pine branches for making wreathes and garlands. So some friends in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin purchase that permit for when they head out for a winter trek and camp. They can then cut pine boughs to use for their shelters and bedding. A two foot thick layer of pine boughs does make a pretty good "mattress" - with lots of insulation from the frozen ground. You might want to check with your own local forestry departments to see if such a permit exists.

Yes, winter has arrived. Now the FUN camping begins!

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies Mike that looks like a lot of fun.

So how do the old clothes perform then, I suppose most of it`s wool and cotton/canvas based ??

Rich

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's funny that you have posted this because I was just talking to John Fenna yesterday about maybe organising a historical themed w/end meet, I was thinking maybe Medieval period. But your period outfits look good. :)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
For the most part, the older materials and gear work well. THey've been tested over several hundred years. But you do have to adapt to them.

Footwear is always a big problem. Traditional footwear is pretty limited to Indian style moccasins and 18th century shoes/boots. All these are very hard to waterproof. Actually, any waterproofing used on moccasins only slows down how fast they soak through - by only 10 or 15 minutes! But it also slows down how fast they then dry out. So most of the guys don't waterproof/grease their mocs. They carry several sets - one they are wearing, one that is drying by the fire, and at least one dry pair stashed in their gear.

Gortex works great - but wasn't available back then. So several layers of wool socks get used instead. Again, several pairs - one or more that you are wearing, those drying, and dry ones stashed in your gear.

Layering of clothing is essential. Lots of wool in several layers of varying thichness, along with some linen. Cotton will work as part of it all, but linen just works better. And shed layers BEFORE you start feeling too warm when hiking/working!

Also wear a wool hat (stocking cap) and scarf - amazing how much these simple things help in keeping you warm.

Some people use a layer of silk next to their skin - to help wick away moisture. It does work, and a lot like that modern polypropelene (sp) stuff.

When you make camp for the night, make drying your clothing out one of your standard CAMP CHORES - just like building that fire, getting water, making shelter. Start drying things out right away, instead of waiting till you're almost ready to crawl in for the evening.

Wool blankets and a tarp ARE heavier than a modern sleeping bag, hammock, and nylon poncho/tarp. But they are also much more simple and versatile in the end. So you just get used to carrying the extra weight.

But these new modern materials and gear are GREAT - for what they are designed to do! We just chose to do this style of trekking/camping for the historical experience. Just as the Paleo/Abo people do theirs.

As with so many things, the JOURNEY is as important as the Destination.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Looks like a great deal of fun Mike! Are you in any of the photo's Mike?
Nice to put a face to the maker of those superb strikers!!!!!
Use mine to light my house fire now all the time!!!
Ta Dave

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Now I know why we're not getting snow, Mike's getting it all!!:lmao:

That looks fantastic. I wouldn't mind having a go at that sort of thing. I'm a viking re-enactor and I would love to have the chance to test out my kit in those sorts of weather but we haven't had any in so long.....:(

I am most absolutely a winter person and hate the summer. definately got SAD, I've just got it the other way round. I spend summers grumping and moaning about the heat and can't wait for winter....of course the fact that I'm built like a Walrus helps:D :D

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
great thread. Facinating to find out what was used before plastic.

BTW, what was in the pot. Do you try to extend the reenactment to 18C menus too?

Keep the posts coming. You can learn so much about what you _really_ need to get by comfortably in the woods.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
No, I'm not in any of those pics, just some friends. I'm still looking for some digital pics with me in them, but I haven't "paid for all the negatives" yet.

That big cast-iron pot was a bit of a luxury on that trip. Using a toboggan to haul gear in helps you bring a few ... heavier ... items along. As I recall, it was a moose and wild rice stew.

So the answer to the next question is YES. We do try to carry and eat the same types of food that were available at that time and in the same general area we are camping in. Ditto the ... um ... adult beverages. Reading through old journals and inventory reports from the fur trade posts quickly shows what was available in the way of food/beverages gathered or traded for in our area of the upper midwest around the Great Lakes, but also brought out from the cities back East.

Viking era gear and camping? Hmmm ... I've been known to do a bit. But I don't have any pics (still awaiting the blackmail negotiations). There is a group down in Missouri that is building a Viking era village to "play" in.

www.vikingsamonline.com

And I've also done some iron work for the Viking Age Club of Minnesota - part of the Sons of Norway organization. We've camped and shared a beverage or three on occasion.

It gets pretty interesting when you try to do your trekking and camping and having all your gear/clothing match a historical time period. And once you start doing it, you learn a lot ... and even a little history along the way.

p.s. And then there's the 1870's cowboy/chuckwagon stuff, the Civil War soldier stuff, and some of that WWII stuff several of my buddies are trying to get me involved in. But I draw the line at doing any of that Vietnam In-Country reenactments - still a bit to ... raw ... in the dim recesses of my mind.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great pics Mike! I bet you folks had a ton of fun. :cool: So, it must have been warm enough to wet your moccasins eh? The only decent cure I know of for that is put your moccasins in a rubber boot. Were you using moosehide smoke tanned moccasins? That's pretty traditonal and they breathe the best. I wear Stoeger mukluks which, while not period correct, are the best winter footwear I've ever worn for snowshoeing.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Great pics Mike! I bet you folks had a ton of fun. :cool: So, it must have been warm enough to wet your moccasins eh? The only decent cure I know of for that is put your moccasins in a rubber boot. Were you using moosehide smoke tanned moccasins? That's pretty traditonal and they breathe the best. I wear Stoeger mukluks which, while not period correct, are the best winter footwear I've ever worn for snowshoeing.

Yeah, sometimes the weather does get up near freezing during the day. But so often, it's closer to zero or -10 or -20 (Farenhite). Plus working in and around camp and the fire does tend to ... attract moisture to our mocs. Some are moose, some deer, some buff. But moose tends to be the best - brain tanned and smoked of course.

If we pushed the time period up into the 1850's or later, we could then document rubber boots. The do make a world of difference. Just ask all those people that were on the show Surviving the Iron Age about their Wellingtons!

I haven't worn any yet, but I have friends that swear by their Stoeger's. Not that old historically, but they're supposed to be some of the best for everyday modern winter wear.

Footwear during cold or wet weather tends to be one major area where people doing living history reenactments have the most problems with. When your feet get wet and cold, people tend to grab their waterproof insulated pack boots. Especially if they are not accustomed to wearing mocs.

Hey, it's all fun and games. But we do have to do it safely.

- who spent 5 more hours today chipping ICE out of my driveway/yard!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE