Solo night out(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, its been a while since i did a solo overnighter, so yesterday i decided to get out. I got my kit sorted and packed on Thursday night,ready for the off.

I headed to my local haunt with clear blue skies,and a crisp air. Heading up the hill through the wood,it was very slippery and muddy under foot,as we have had really heavy rain the last couple of weeks,plus the wood is on a Northerly facing slope,so it never gets a chance to dry out.

The hardest part for me is picking the best site to pitch, i see one place,then i think "oh that looks more promising" only to see another :rolleyes:. My first two places looked perfect,but once i walked around for 5 mins, the water came bubbling to the surface,then turned into a small stream, so they were scrapped. What i looked for next was a little bit of raised ground for my spot.

When i finally found a dry-ish spot, i started to make my raised bed, as i was on a slight slope, and i did'nt fancy sleeping dircectly on the ground, that and i had visions of me slidding down the hill in my Bivy bag, straight into the river below :D.

So i gathered up logs and made my bed, which i topped with springy branches,then i found a dead standing patch of Meadow Sweet, which was the final layer.
My bed for the night.
dickswood16-Copy800x600.jpg

dickswood13-Copy800x600.jpg

dickswood17-Copy800x600.jpg

Next i put my Tarp up.
dickswood9-Copy800x600.jpg

Seeing as the weather forecast was for an overnight frost, and i would be using a long log fire, i had to make sure the back of the Tarp, was close as possible to the bed, to make sure there would be no gap behind me whilst i lay on the bed. The reason for this, is you want the heat of the fire to warm you all round, if you leave a gap, it creates a cold spot in between you and the Tarp.
dickswood19-Copy800x600.jpg

Then it was time for a Brew.
dickswood11-Copy800x600.jpg

Next i gathered my wood for the night. I created 3 piles within easy reach from my bed, i also cut 3 logs with a diameter of 6 inches for the night fire.
You can see the logs resting against the left hand tree. I next set my fire place ready for kindling.
dickswood20-Copy800x600.jpg

Well as i had time to spare,i went for a wander around, hoping to see some wildlife. As the light was fading and i could feel the cold seeping into my bones, i headed back to my little campsite. Time to light the fire.
dickswood7-Copy800x600.jpg

After the fire was going i cooked some food, nothing startling, just noodles,with a bit of Chorizo thrown in,and a Tortilla bread toasted on the fire, followed by some cheese and Cherry Tomatoes, and another brew to wash it down.

Once the eating was done with, it was time for re-arrangements. I took the 3 big logs and piled them, one on top of the other,behind the fire,creating a wall, i pushed 2 sticks into the soft earth, for support. I now lowered the tarp, to catch all the heat.

As you can see it was dark by now.
dickswood12-Copy800x600.jpg

And a side view.
dickswood8-Copy800x600.jpg

Starting to spread the embers, for the long log fire.
dickswood5-Copy800x600.jpg

And one without the flash.
dickswood14-Copy800x600.jpg

Well it was kicking out so much heat i had to take my jacket off, and i lay back on my bed with just a shirt on.

As i listened to the night shift, go about its business, my eyes were getting heavier by the minute, so on that note i turned in, and it was only 10.30pm, i don't think i,ve hit the sack as early before. So i crawled into my sleeping bag and went out like a light. I awoke at 4.20am feeling the chill on my face, i pulled the sleeping bag baffles around my neck and head,and nodded back off. Then it was 8.45am before i new it. As i got out my Bivy i was greeted to the wonderful sight of 2 Roe deer not 20 feet from my camp, you should have seen the look on their faces,when i popped up from behind my Tarp. :Wow: Magical and funny at the same time.

So as the water was on for a morning brew,i tidied everything away,and packed my rucksack.

Leave no trace.
dickswood-Copy800x600.jpg

Well i headed home after saying my thanks to the woods, for putting up with me for the night.

It was grand just to be on my own again,soaking up the atmosphere of the woods.

And that as they say, was my night out, thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Grand and refreshing thread, thanks for taking the time to share. Good elth :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Great pics and great write up.
Looks like you had a fantastic night out.

Only thing i'd change is having that dry wood bedding so near the fire, bit paranoid maybe but it looks like it could go up anything with a stray ember.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, many thanks for the kind comments, i think i picked the right night for my overnighter, as its bleeding raining again!

Great pics and great write up.
Looks like you had a fantastic night out.

Only thing i'd change is having that dry wood bedding so near the fire, bit paranoid maybe but it looks like it could go up anything with a stray ember.

Hi cbr6fs, thanks for the concern about the bed, but this wood is far from tinder dry, as i said its a north facing slope so its always wet and damp, i think you would need a flame thrower to get it to light lol,its so bad i have to split dead standing to get kindling of any use.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE