Solo night out(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hi cbr6fs, thanks for the concern about the bed, but this wood is far from tinder dry, as i said its a north facing slope so its always wet and damp, i think you would need a flame thrower to get it to light lol,its so bad i have to split dead standing to get kindling of any use.

Cheers Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

It's been 13 years since i lived in England so it's getting more and more difficult to imagine wood that's not tinder dry the whole year round like we have here.
Thanks for clarifying.

Quick question please.
Have you tried a half decent bedding mat, if so how does it compare warmth wise (from below) to your raised bed?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Stuart,

It's been 13 years since i lived in England so it's getting more and more difficult to imagine wood that's not tinder dry the whole year round like we have here.
Thanks for clarifying.

Quick question please.
Have you tried a half decent bedding mat, if so how does it compare warmth wise (from below) to your raised bed?

Hi cbr6fs, i have tried many different bedding set ups over the years, and for me anyway, you can get the same comfort levels using what nature provides, as using modern inflatable/sleep mats. It does however all come down to how much work and effort you are willing to put in. I have slept on just bare logs (not at all comfy or warm) through to beds that have 3 to 4 layers of topping materials, which were akin to sleeping in my own bed. Again as for warmth, there are many permutations you can use to help the warmth issue. I myself have tried everything from bottles filled with water, through to heating rocks and throwing them underneath the bed, to having one against the stomach and another on the small of the back, which will help keep your core temperature nice and cosy,through a cold night. But with all these methods, its about experimentation, and to find which one best fits your needs, in any given situation.

As for me, i hate being cold anywhere, so through trial and error, i now make a conserted effort to be very comfortable whilst out in the woods, as Uncle Ray once wrote "if you are roughing it,you are doing something wrong" and "there are no points for any deeds of self imposed endurance" ;).

So needless to say i like comfort and strive for it everytime.

I hope this in part ways, answers your question.

Regards Stuart.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for clarifying.

Quick question please.

You've been gone too long mate, the entire UK has turned into an otters pocket this year. :)

The only thing keeping the rain off the firewood is the covering of slugs :lmao:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You've been gone too long mate, the entire UK has turned into an otters pocket this year. :)

The only thing keeping the rain off the firewood is the covering of slugs :lmao:

Does take some getting my head round as i spend so much time outdoors here and out on the mountains there is a real fire threat probably 8 months of the year.

Might sound crazy, but i do sometimes miss a nice hike and camp in the rain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE