Solo camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who do you spend time with when enjoying your outdoor activities?

• Alone, because theres no one else to join you.

Votes: 137 20.3%
  • Alone, because you enjoy the solitude and silence.

Votes: 284 42.0%
  • With a group of friends.

Votes: 151 22.3%
  • With girlfriend/wife.

Votes: 108 16.0%
  • With mans best friend

Votes: 93 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 83 12.3%

• Total voters

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Something I like about going solo is the wildlife. You see far more animals going about their business when you are alone.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I think you sense everything more going solo. When in company it always takes some of your attention which is automatically redirected towards nature when going alone.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i never camp enough but alone would be better for me, it would give me more time to remember whats gone on and people im going to miss in my life.......

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Went and stayed in the woods over night on my own for the first time last night. It was great, made even better by the lions at a nearby zoo giving off a series of loud roars. Glad they are behind bars.
Alone in the woods is best if you want to see wildlife. Maybe not the lions though

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
i take it you stayed in the woods behind dudley zoo then mate the area we used to call the castle as kids ......i used to live on the priory estate and spent alot of time over there

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Pango: Yeah it would have been a bit of a trouser trembling momment, but the zoo is only about half a mile away from where I was, and I quite often walk through the area and hear all sorts of strange animal noises.

Soulstar1963 : No I'm afraid the zoo is in hertfordshire. But it did add a bit of the exotic to what was just a quiet night in the woods.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I spend time out with a couple of my mates when possible and their are times when it's great to get out their myself just depends on how I'm feeling .
Scott

T

Trackeraz

Anti human most of my life,like being solo,traveled all over solo ,now live in Az USA where they say dont go out on your own ! thats bull,I only have a few arguments out alone !

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I enjoy sharing the occasional outdoor camp for a laugh company is always good to have, however there often seems to be compromise that has to be made, as each person has diffenent expectation or set of preferences/ wants. Sometimes i just need to get out there alone, i find i can work at my own pace, and do what i want to do, when i want to do it. So I guess I like to do both.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Alone can be ok but something about sitting around a campfire at night just shooting the breeze just really brings it together.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
I chose other as I do like going with my fella, mates or family and even sometimes new people. I dont think i could take my cat, leave him with my parents but he does follow me everywhere.

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
I used to hike on my own, and walked from Minehead to Clovelly on the SW Coast Path alone. There were usually people along the way who would stop and ask where I was going during the day. At night, I had the radio and some big, fat cuban cigars to while away a few hours plus the busy work of cooking and boiling water. I rarely lit a campfire because a) I was unsure of the law and b) because the North Devon coast doesn't actually have that many trees. From Clovelly to Land's End and thence to Plymouth, I have hiked with a mate or two. I must say that having company is great- shared observations and experiences plus, someone to get an extra round of beers in when we get to a pub. I guess the downside is that, at least solo, the challenge of the physical effort of hiking is bourne by just me (and I know that I have the mental strength to go the distance). I guess there is always the possibility that the person who comes with me isn't up to the task but luckily, both mates who have done a stretch have both been able and have enjoyed it.

U

UnderTheStars

Sorry for digging up an old thread but ive been doing a lot of reading on the forum since joining and theres so much info 'in the archives'
I love solo camping but would love to camp with others but i have 2 problems. Problem 1 is that I dont like being around big groups of people. Im sure theres a phobia name for that but its just the way i am an will be i guess. Any more than 4 or 5 people and I clam up. :(
Problem 2 is that all my friends are 'girly' girls and just arent in to the outdoors thing like I am. I have not been able to get even one of them remotely interested in a night out. Any tips on how to get them in to our way of thinking greatly received :)

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Humm... Bribe em', trick em', plead with em'.

If non of that works maybe try to cultivate some new friend on here. Obviously there is some safety issues with that if you only want to go camping with one or two other people. You could start off with a pub meet (public place etc) just to make sure they only have one head, and take it from there.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Problem 2 is that all my friends are 'girly' girls and just arent in to the outdoors thing like I am. I have not been able to get even one of them remotely interested in a night out. Any tips on how to get them in to our way of thinking greatly received :)

Tell them that the chocolate fairy might visit in the middle of the night , or does that one only work kids .

Or pick a warm evening in the summer pack some nice food and a couple of bottles of wine , find somewhere with a nice view and chill out have a drink and a laugh.

Craig........

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tell them that the chocolate fairy might visit in the middle of the night , or does that one only work kids .

Or pick a warm evening in the summer pack some nice food and a couple of bottles of wine , find somewhere with a nice view and chill out have a drink and a laugh.

Craig........

I think you've hit on it. Don't invite them camping; just ask them to stop by for supper. Let them taste the food while enjoying the view. They'll be curious and explore your campsite and see how comfortable you've made it, etc. If they don't appreciate it after that then try someone else.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
outdoor stuff is a pain with the better half... all she does is moan about how theres 'too many creepy crawlies' etc. Sometimes I do stuff on my own, sometimes stuff with mates. I learn more and see more on my own, which is great, but its also great to have somebody to have a blether with a share the experience when you come accross something amazing, say like spotting a deer or finding a huge fungus!

LOL. I had one of my friends at work mention how her husband always calls her over to show her the snake or alligator at the edge of the water then wonders why she doesn't want to go again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE