Solo camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who do you spend time with when enjoying your outdoor activities?

• Alone, because theres no one else to join you.

Votes: 137 20.3%
  • Alone, because you enjoy the solitude and silence.

Votes: 284 42.0%
  • With a group of friends.

Votes: 151 22.3%
  • With girlfriend/wife.

Votes: 108 16.0%
  • With mans best friend

Votes: 93 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 83 12.3%

• Total voters

5.10leader

For me probably equally divided by time being spent in splendid isolation, taking time out to unwind, collecting wood for carving or general foraging, and that spent with swmbo just enjoying nature.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Allways alone - but then I am "Nobby No-Mates!"

But then again, thinking about it, I'm never alone.................there's always the wind in the trees, the trees themselves, the bugs, beasties and birds too!

Had a very long conversation with a very old crow, with many white/grey feathers, who decided to join me in my camp once a few years back. He was totally unfazed by me and I'm sure he understood what I was saying!

LOL , My boys are all City sissy's, sure they all want me to keep bring the fresh fish and Venison, and the Wife is a hiker and campground camper only, so i tend to spend much of my WILD time alone.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
As a boy/young man, usualy alone, time to think reflect, learn and enjoy the feeling.
Later in life with my wife and friends.
Lately, alone again I want to commune with the "Creator"

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I personally feel far safer alone in the woods at night than in a city or town. I have very good night vision and if I am still I can hear everything that is going on around me. I remember a quote from Andy McNab (I think) saying that his father took him into the woods at night because he was frightened of the dark and made him settle down quietly to listen. He could clearly hear wildlife moving around but could not be seen - i.e. nobody would be able to get near them without them knowing and if they stayed still, quiet and hidden then they would be perfectly safe.

OK - I'm not sure about sleeping out in the woods alone, but if I'm awake then nobody and nothing is going to get anywhere near my without me knowing.u

I remember going out for my first night alone in the woods. I'm not particularly afraid of the dark, but I did wonder how I would cope with it. I tried to mentally prepare myself for being scared. Something woke me up, snuffling around close to me in the pitch darkness. Being British, I made a polite cough to let whatever it was know I was there! This was followed by a manic scuffling sound as the poore creature scarpered... scared out of its wits. I couldn't help chuckling!

Whatever is out there in the woods is a lot more scared of you and me than we could possible be of it. Mind you, this is Britain - don't think I'd feel the same way if there were Bears, cougars, tigers or suchlike around!

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
It changes over the years,when I first went into the bush it was alone,I didnt even think to ask if anyone would like to go,it was something I wanted to do on my own(I was 13).As I got older my mates started to tag along,but things changed and it just turned into us sitting arround a fire drinking(dont get me wrong I like a drink)but being in wild places to me is more then waking up with a hangover.Now I have a family,we have been on campsites but the wife would not go wild,but I have taken 2 of my children who are aged 16 and 12 now,and they love going it wild.And now wife has decided that she would like to try it,actually she has even stated that she would like to attend a moot.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
I have camped out alone in the UK quite a few times. Basically, there's nothing here that's going to cause a problem. The only difference between settling down in the daytime and the darkness of night is that it is dark (but even "dark" isn't that dark).

The first time for me was in 1978, just after my dad passed away. I just felt like getting away from it all for a while, and so I loaded up the car and set off for Scotland for a month. I stayed the first few nights on camp sites, but then travelling somewhere way north of Ullapool I found a lovely area of closely cropped grass right beside a little road. A tiny burbling stream beside it, which ran into a lake about 100 yards accross. There wasn't a tree in sight! I had just bought a few supplies in Ullapool, and so I decided just to set up the tent and stay a while.

That was my first night out totally alone in the middle of nowhere. I stayed there in that spot for three nights. In my car was a trout fly rod and line, and the little lake (10 paces away) supplied me with enough little native brown trout for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. The little stream supplied my water. It didn't even occur to me to be worried about being alone, I suppose because that's what I wanted to be.

Camping out alone in the wilds after that presented no problem. I have now done it many times, including all around Europe from North of the Arctic circle in Norway in winter, down into the Italian Alps in summer. I have yet to try it in Africa (Kenya), but I might well do that in the new year, and for the first time I will probably get off the ground in a hammock & mosquito net under a tarp, if for no other reason than getting up high and off the ground away from snakes. (I hate snakes!!) :)

Rod

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
Camping out alone in the wilds after that presented no problem. I have now done it many times, including all around Europe from North of the Arctic circle in Norway in winter, down into the Italian Alps in summer. I have yet to try it in Africa (Kenya), but I might well do that in the new year, and for the first time I will probably get off the ground in a hammock & mosquito net under a tarp, if for no other reason than getting up high and off the ground away from snakes. (I hate snakes!!) :)

Rod

I would recommend a guide in Africa unless you have a lot of local experience:) It's not the snakes you need to worry about (I hate snakes too) as they don't eat people...much. There are plenty other things in rural Africa that just might fancy a bite of you!! :lmao:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i put with a group of friends, because camping is most enjoyable that way, and so is making shelters because it is easier in groups. i also prefer fishing with another couple of people in case i fall in or need help landing a large fish (some day...), but of course everyone likes having a few hours to themselves to sit and read a book or whittle a spoon and just be relaxed. so a bit of both really.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I voted with friends but only because there wasn't a both options. If someone comes with me great if not great. I have no preference so long as it is me out there. In fact I'm itching to get out there again but unfortunately I am a wimpy fair weather camper. I don't mind the cold but any risk of snow and I know my tarp or single skin is not the best thing to be out in on the open fells no matter how well you pitch them or how much shelter you have found.

BTW I found a good bivvy spot just south of Seathwaite fell top on way to sprinkling tarn. Someone had taken the time to build an excellent dry stone wall between two hillocks / rocky outcrops. Tucked out of the way and with excellent shelter. Now I just need to find it again. Of course, shhh! keep it to yourself.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
My girlfriend is a seasoned wilderness veteran and my favourite
paddling partner. We spend most of our summer doing wilderness canoe trips;
two summers ago a bear came up to within 5 feet of her, but she stood
her ground and waited for me to grab a canoe paddle and scare him off
.....very impressed by her nerve... the incident didn't affect her willingness
to keep camping out in bear country.... more trips to come this summer....
can't wait!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Got to admit... Love spending time in the woods with my pooch "Frodo".

2pt2ukg.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE