Solo camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who do you spend time with when enjoying your outdoor activities?

• Alone, because theres no one else to join you.

Votes: 137 20.3%
  • Alone, because you enjoy the solitude and silence.

Votes: 284 42.0%
  • With a group of friends.

Votes: 151 22.3%
  • With girlfriend/wife.

Votes: 108 16.0%
  • With mans best friend

Votes: 93 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 83 12.3%

• Total voters

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I was reading a thread about solo camping and decided to do a poll.
Give us your vote on who you spend time with in the great outdoors.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
too narrow
sometimes the so;itude of ones owns self in nature is a must at other times chats round the fire and maybe a beer or two is most warming

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I camp as If I was alone I use a hammock now before I used a basha. I love the seclusion and the solitude you become one with yourself something we rarely do but something we should do more regularly

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I often prefer to be alone, though it would be nice to go out with some like minded people.

I personally feel far safer alone in the woods at night than in a city or town. I have very good night vision and if I am still I can hear everything that is going on around me. I remember a quote from Andy McNab (I think) saying that his father took him into the woods at night because he was frightened of the dark and made him settle down quietly to listen. He could clearly hear wildlife moving around but could not be seen - i.e. nobody would be able to get near them without them knowing and if they stayed still, quiet and hidden then they would be perfectly safe.

OK - I'm not sure about sleeping out in the woods alone, but if I'm awake then nobody and nothing is going to get anywhere near my without me knowing.

Geoff

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i almist always go with just one freind, i have never been on my own but it is something i want to try
leon

I do both - but especially enjoy solo backcountry camping. These days I bring my pooch with me - funny, I just posted a survey on my site too regarding Solo camping!
http://mungobah.blogspot.com/
I highly recommend you do it, but recognize that the first solo trip you take can be quite nerve-wracking/depressing (at least it was for me) because I think the silence and isolation from typical distractions such as TV and radio and web can make you feel a bit overwhelmed with your own thoughts. It took me a couple of solo trips until something 'shifted' within me and now every time that I go, it feels so refreshing and freeing.
Cheers
Mungo
http://mungobah.blogspot.com/

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
There are two reasons i'd opt for solo, but I am basing my reply on fieldsports, kayaking and nature watching.
1. There is no doubt that you really get into the zone if you are alone. For one, there is no-one to talk to (out loud) so you will be quieter.You will drift into trance like day dream and through this you will really tune in to all thats going on around you, get it right and you seem to emit less threat and nature starts to accept your presence,its a fanastic tonic for the hustle and bustle of normal daily life.
2. I have wandered fields, woodlands and rivers day and night, and not always in areas I should have been. If you are solo you are far less likely to upset landowners. As a boy I was never sure of the borders where I could or couldn't go, sometimes landowners would ignore me, after I couldn't do too much harm. Others would confront me but after a pleasant conversation about the weather, the crops etc I would gradually become accepted - not so easy if your in a group.

I guess its the same for wild camping. However I do get a great kick when you can show others something they have never seen/experienced, and see their face light up at the wonder of Nature.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Allways alone - but then I am "Nobby No-Mates!"

But then again, thinking about it, I'm never alone.................there's always the wind in the trees, the trees themselves, the bugs, beasties and birds too!

Had a very long conversation with a very old crow, with many white/grey feathers, who decided to join me in my camp once a few years back. He was totally unfazed by me and I'm sure he understood what I was saying!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like going solo camping every now and again to get away from the hussle and bussle of everyday life, but I much prefer camping out with friends I find it more enjoyable.

D

davesurvivor

I often prefer to be alone, though it would be nice to go out with some like minded people.

I personally feel far safer alone in the woods at night than in a city or town. I have very good night vision and if I am still I can hear everything that is going on around me. I remember a quote from Andy McNab (I think) saying that his father took him into the woods at night because he was frightened of the dark and made him settle down quietly to listen. He could clearly hear wildlife moving around but could not be seen - i.e. nobody would be able to get near them without them knowing and if they stayed still, quiet and hidden then they would be perfectly safe.

OK - I'm not sure about sleeping out in the woods alone, but if I'm awake then nobody and nothing is going to get anywhere near my without me knowing.

Geoff
was it not danny the champion of the world lol

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Solo camping can be nice, you can listen to your MP3 music without interuption, talk to yourself (silently or out loud), cook what and when you want, go to sleep and rise when you want and don't feel somethimes obliged to 'do things'.

That said, I really love to camp with my son, or a group of mates

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I love solo camping as it gives me a good amount of freedom to do what I like without feeling obliged to join in with the group. Most of the time I spend in the woods during the day is spent alone.

However, most of the occasions when I actually camp overnight it's with the guys from the regular local meet. I'm fortunate enough that they're a good group of blokes and I never find myself thinking ''I hope so-and-so doesn't turn up'' - something that eventually put me off meeting the old group I used to camp with (that's no one from here, so don't worry ;) ).

It's 'six of one and half-a-dozen of the other' where I'm concerned I'm afraid, so I can't really give a straight answer. :rolleyes: I ticked ''with a group of friends'' though as that option was more relevant to this forum.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Shouldn't wife and girlfriend be separate categories? Not that I've tried it but I'd guess that the two together could be awkward.
I prefer to camp with somebody - usually the wife - but am happy alone if I am on my bike.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Has to be with a few close friends. I stayed in a hostel 2 nights by myself in Germany and it got pretty miserable by the second night. Its the long evenings you have to spend alone really.

Id imagin some people to be used to it, but Im not.

Jun 18, 2007
family, definately. My 3 year old daughter is constantly asking to go on a daddy daughter day, or to go camping with me, anything outdoorsy. Need to bring her into the lightweight camping at least, otherwise I'd be bringing 5 plastic ponies, 2 stuffed animals, her blanket, and probably a 2 storey wooden dolls house.

My wife is just as bad. Last time we did a family camp, I let my wife put together the gear list, completely on her own. Once we had everything together, it didn't fit in the rather large boot of my car...then we had to buy food because she didn't think to pack any.

S

Suzi

First post! so hi all =D
I would love to solo camp, but a bit scared too lol.
Love it with a group or friends though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE