Power pack anker or alpkit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just seen the alpkit power-packed. Looking at the 20,000mah one and comparing with the anker powercore essential 20000. The alpkit allows it too be charged while it's charging say your phone. Does this mean solar panel charging only or plug in a pub charging top? Can anker match the alpkit specs? Are they basically the same possibly made in the same Chinese factory?

Both are £33-34. Both 20,000mah with two outputs so you can charge two devices at once Both got smart charge functions

Which is best or are they the same just branded differently?

Anyone tried solar panels like the pkit flare? Worth £35 or so?

Anker powerbank

Alpkit version

Alpkit flare solar panel

We have a campervan with leisure battery and USB charging points running off it, with lighting too. We're camping at a site and can't get electric hookup. We're thinking a good high capacity power bank after not being impressed with cheaper ones.

Any views on these two and the solar panel? Anything better for similar money?

We may be cycle touring in the area leaving the van behind for a few days at a time. So portable is important.

Reactions: CLEM

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I bought the Alpkit Juice Box to power one of my cameras in sub zero temperatures. What I found annoying was the complete lack of any kind of instructions or specifications that came with it.

When I contacted Alpkit they demonstrated total ignorance, even to the point that they did not know that the unit turns itself off on occasions, I think when the current draw falls below a certain threshold but it might be time based. I don't know because there are no sodding instructions!

Otherwise it seems to hold a decent capacity and work well, providing you make sure it hasn't turned itself off again of course. It is solidly built but you will have to use guesswork to get the best out of it. It doesn't even tell you how to turn it off manually ( A double tap on the power button I discovered in the end. )

Last edited:

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
I'd probably go with the Anker: the one I have (similar but not identical to the one you've linked) feels pretty sturdy, and has shrugged off a fair few drops and seems to have maintained capacity quite well. Not sure if it would have pass-through charging however.

I'm a bit unsure of Alpkit's claims about the 'insulated battery', i'm unsure how much insulation you could cram into that case along with the 20,000mAh battery, and if that would make much of a difference in the cold.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
When I queried them on that it turned out that the extent of their "testing" involved putting one in a freezer and then seeing if it would work when they took it out... Not exactly rigorous.

Not too worried about that because it will be inside my clothing system when I use it.

So far happy with the unit but very disappointed with Alpkit's technical service. Expected better from them.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Putting a lithium ion battery in a freezer, such that the battery reaches freezing or below, and then trying to charge it, will cause permanent harm to the battery. The electrolyte is water based.

Discharging however should be fine down to -20C though performance/capacity will be significantly reduced.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Their testing regime did not strike me as well thought out. It certainly did not result in any useful information they were able to share.

Fortunately my main camera runs off a pair of 8Ah Tracer packs made by Deben. They at least understand their products and can offer some technical support.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Anker Solar and battery user here and all good.

I have given both a good battering over the past few years an no issues. The Power pack I use every few days and is only just starting to get a bit tired. The Solar is brilliant and tough as old boots which is again used often, well as often as the suns out :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anker it is then, thanks.

It's for a two week van trip where we're staying at a campsite without electric hookup, or rather without pitches free with hookup. Whilst we've got USB A sockets connected to the leisure battery which is charged from the engine we might be static for some time. The led lighting runs off the same battery so we're kind of wanting backup power pack for phones. Those we can leave charging somewhere, lots of sites more have those charging cabinets now. The ones where there a few little boxes with micro usb and usb c plugs which you plug into device then lock box and pay for the charging. We're behind the continent with those but catching up as more sites install them. Failing that reception or shop might have somewhere for power pack. Safer than leaving the phone directly charging.

We have had a few over the years from cheapo possible even Aldi ones through to slightly more expensive. Not impressed so me far. Alpkit are usually good with their kit and I've heard Anker are good. The most annoying thing about our current packs is how they charge up very, very slowly. The big one we have sometimes didn't fully charge even with a full night in a charging cabinet? Only got enough to charge a phone up if that. I'm hoping the Anker one is better.

fingertrouble

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2021
London, UK
Anker it is then, thanks.

It's for a two week van trip where we're staying at a campsite without electric hookup, or rather without pitches free with hookup. Whilst we've got USB A sockets connected to the leisure battery which is charged from the engine we might be static for some time. The led lighting runs off the same battery so we're kind of wanting backup power pack for phones. Those we can leave charging somewhere, lots of sites more have those charging cabinets now. The ones where there a few little boxes with micro usb and usb c plugs which you plug into device then lock box and pay for the charging. We're behind the continent with those but catching up as more sites install them. Failing that reception or shop might have somewhere for power pack. Safer than leaving the phone directly charging.

We have had a few over the years from cheapo possible even Aldi ones through to slightly more expensive. Not impressed so me far. Alpkit are usually good with their kit and I've heard Anker are good. The most annoying thing about our current packs is how they charge up very, very slowly. The big one we have sometimes didn't fully charge even with a full night in a charging cabinet? Only got enough to charge a phone up if that. I'm hoping the Anker one is better.
You want quickcharge QC batteries if you can get them (or similar technology) - but it relies on the charger providing the extra wattage as well - so depends if those cabinets will do that. I learned this the hard way taking a cheap Poundland charger and things never charged at all - took hours. Whereas I found a 20W 3-pin charger on holiday and that thing whizzes along.

Re: solar, I use solar with 10,000mah batteries, not every battery likes it - I think it's due to the current and the voltage, and how the charging regulator works in the battery. I have an old big EasyAcc battery that's fine, but my more modern lighter Anker QC2 won't do anything from my solar panel. Maybe the panel is too old? Or change in battery type?

What I would do is have a battery always charging in there, and swap it over with another so you always have power. I leave the old EasyAcc charging in the tent when I'm out. Sure it could be nicked but it's old and replaceable.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Highly recommend the brand Outxe. They are relatively new to the market but their powerbanks are specifically designed to be used outside. They are solidly built, have re-enforced corners to survive drops (I think they guarantee a 4ft drop without damage,) they have rubber seals covering the ports to survive being briefly submerged and are generally built like a tank.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Check out the blog Three Points Of The Compass he explains a lot about them including how useless solar panels are in the UK at the moment.

AndyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Shetland
Good choice on Anker. The quality is unmatched in my consideration. In really cold weather slip the powerbank into and inside pocket to keep it warm. Betteries are less efficient when cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE