Solar Lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

Just saw that this on Mr. Ray's site, and found it interesting. Never seen this before...

I'm not really interested in buying one, but am interested to know what people think of it, and whether or not anyone has ever used one?

Dan

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Daniel said:
Hi,

Just saw that this on Mr. Ray's site, and found it interesting. Never seen this before...

I'm not really interested in buying one, but am interested to know what people think of it, and whether or not anyone has ever used one?

Dan

They describe it as 'pocket sized' :rolleyes:

simon

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I tried lighting little bits of wood with a magnifying glass when it was 40c, just to see what would happen, and was surprised to see that it just went black and smoked. I thought it would smolder a bit more enthusiastically, but no. I would have needed to use proper tinder to get something going, and probably dark coloured tinder at that. If you've got to use tinder and kindling anyway, you might as well just cast a spark into it from the firesteel that you still need to carry for when the sun is not blazing, and leave the pocket sized satelite dish at home. ;) You could play with it a few times and then use it as an ashtray.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Even if it is pocket sized I don't think I'd carry one in my pocket whenever I go camping... It may be a good backup fireligher to keep in the glove compartment of your car (if you go camping with a car).

I think I'm going to have to try that coke can and toblerone thing (Excuse to buy some lovely lovely toblerone!) :)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
hey the bset bet is to eat the toblerone ! Yes there was a thread on this many many moons ago, aswell as using a lens made out of ice.
Polishing a coke can with chocolate is a complete waste or time. For any survival situation you would be far better off eating the chocolate.
I spent days and I mean days polishing the bottom of a coke can, and still only got a mild dull shine. Then someone suggested I was using the wrong type of chocolate, waste nice dark chocolate instead - no better ! Crushed up mints - give it a miss. The best suggestion was toothpaste IMO, but I'd got bored of the idea by then and moved on.
Feel free if you need an excuse to waste good chocolate.

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE