SOG Seal pup Kydex Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Hi everyone, here is a copy of the thread I made at BB:

I've been reading this forum for a long time now, learning and loving it all!

I wanted to make a new sheath for my SOG seal pup, the current one is to bulky and stays wet forever.

So i read all the tutorials i could find and bought some kydex and eyelets from woodandknifesupply.com.

It arrived this morning, and here is the result.

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

And some scrap kydex was used for this:

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

And a link to more and larger pictures! And a Movie!
Picasa Web Album

I hope you like it, for a first try I sure am!

Bob

P.S. Yes, this is the knife i use for bushcrafting, not the most suitable. I used this in the service, and I deserves better than a life in a drawer.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Not a big fan of the kydex/military look myself. Seems to give out the wrong impression.
Not my kind of thing at all.
Still, well done for making your own sheath. And if it's the knife you like, then good for you for sticking with it.
Just think these kind of images can be seen to Romanticise violence, and that's not what I'm into or want to be associated with.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Hallo!

Excellent work!
TBH coming from perhaps a different culture when it comes to blades over here, but I dont think Kydex gives a military look. (the camo in the background especially screams civilian!)
The way I see it, when you're getting absolutely douched in water, be it rain sleet or snow, kydex is great because of the drainage.
The low maintenance of it is perhaps not in line with "buschcraft" but when you're talking about hiking long distances to get where you're going... or are in a difficult environment it works.

Not a huge fan of SOG though with the dreaded hollow grind... What have you used the blade for and how has it performed for you? Do you find the serrations get in the way?
Also why is the sheath on an angle to the blade? is that intentionnal?

cheers!

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Thanks for the replies! Glad some of you like it.

Just think these kind of images can be seen to Romanticise violence, and that's not what I'm into or want to be associated with.
How does a image of a knife romanticises violence? I didn't paint pink unicorns on it. Its a tool, it's up to you how you use it.

Not a huge fan of SOG though with the dreaded hollow grind... What have you used the blade for and how has it performed for you? Do you find the serrations get in the way?
Also why is the sheath on an angle to the blade? is that intentionnal?

I Used my blade when i was in the service here in Holland. Mainly cutting cord, chopping small stuff for shelters like lean to's and prying open boxes.

Now I use it for pretty much everything I encounter, prepping food (a rabbit just 2 weeks ago, sliced trought the flesh like it was butter), splitting wood etc.

I do find the serrations a but much, i would buy a new one without them. The blade is rather thick, so some fine tooling is pretty hard to do (but makes up for awesome power!). The grind is ok, and easy to maintain. I would have liked a grind like the F1 better, a full flat ground?

The sheath is angled because I folded it over, trying to get the tip of the blade as close as possible to the top. Also i like to have the knife on my belt, and now the handle is pointing a bit towards my back, giving me more room/less snag.

what belt attachment are you using
A Large tek-lok, from my spyderco Bill Moran, I've been thinking of making a belt loop for less bulk and weight.

Any tips, or advice for the next one? I am going to do one for a friends Fallkniven S1.

Also, where do i get tekloks on the cheap?

Thanks

tecloks arnt cheap but you canswap them on and off kit

Hennie haynes sell them they are £12 the picture shows the older style Mk one I havent got any from them hopfully they stock the New Mk2 with integeral lock and havent changed teh photo

i get some from the USA at $10 but only worth it if you are buying other stuff as the postage is a killer

what did you use ot form the eyelets ?? did you buy a set of dies with them ??

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
I used my cooking oven, pre heated to 190 degrees Celcius, on a piece of baking paper. I did some fine tuning with a 1600 watt heat gun, on the lowest setting.

For the eyeletts i used a flaring die, without the base/anvil, and used a piece of leather to protect the underside. It is an old one, i think it was used for shoes.

Bob

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice work BobvanVelzen! I like kydex for the weatherproof qualities it presents. How did you find working with the material? Is the fire steel a tight fit? Is there any concern with losing the fire steel? I would like to have a go with Kydex but need to learn a little more about the process. Thanks for posting this and providing inspiration for a future DIY project!

Gordy

I respectfully disagree!

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
When i made the firestell loop, I pressed it tight between the foam pads.I let it cool for 10 minutes and removed the firesteel. Then I reheated the tip at the end with a heatgun, and pressed gently, now the firesteel is very secure. The same for the loop on the sheath. I probably have to do this again when the firesteel gets smaller in use. Also, the piece of paracord helps.

Kydex is super to work with, it helps to be able to just reheat the kydex and start over. I learned most of this via youtube and the british blade forums.

And please, call me Bob!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
That looks nice, but what is attached to the lowest part of the sheath? with the 2 studs/screws?

Nice handle, what is it made of?

Cheers Bob

its a detachable loop for horizontal carry option,..(there is one at the top too)

the wood is Laburnum from my Dads garden..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE