Sodium Chloride

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dratted stuff.

For some complex reason I keep on inheriting it, (Folk give me food they cannot be bothered taking home...) -I now have 3 big containers full.

I use next to nothing in cooking.

Any suggestions as to non food use? It must have some purpose, musnt it?

That or find someone who actualy EATS the stuff...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can keep the sugar, I'd take the salt :)

It's very good for cleaning stuff. It also kills off algae on steps and slabs and stops weeds growing. It literally 'salts the land' that way, so needs care.
Good for scrubbing wooden cutting boards too.

M

Ooops :eek: sorry Martin, cross posted.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Make ice cream? IIRC something along the lines of putting the ice cream ingredients into a smaller zip lock bag, then put that together with ice and salt in a larger. And agitate a bit, with some protective gloves on.

Some effect where the salt and ice creates a much colder temperature and freezes the ice cream ingredients.

The "Portable Ice Cream makers" ball things use the same effect.

Edit: Better instructions :) http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Homemade-Ice-Cream-in-a-Bag/

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You can keep the sugar, I'd take the salt :)

It's very good for cleaning stuff. It also kills off algae on steps and slabs and stops weeds growing. It literally 'salts the land' that way, so needs care.
Good for scrubbing wooden cutting boards too.

M

Ooops :eek: sorry Martin, cross posted.

Good for scrubbing cast iron also.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Same as Mary I use it to keep the weeds down on the patio. Oh and the slugs outhe the house!

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Saturated saline solution in a bottle with a sports type top for squirting down razor clam holes. I can easily use a kilo of salt in one trip

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you get nosebleeds, a quick squirt of saltwater is as good as any medication you can buy, according to the american journal of medicine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE