sober camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Toddy must go to some interesting camps! I used to go to bike rallies pretty much every weekend in my youth, and apart from one very noisy Hells Angel who wouldn't stop beating on an oil drum until threatened with an oil-drum enema, no-one stabbed himself or anyone else, attempted to rape anyone etc etc etc. And plenty of booze used to get consumed at these events, as any biker who's ever attended one will tell you......

Don't drink much any more, although enjoy an occasional snifter at the meets whilst trying to poison everyone else with weird and wonderful beverages obtained from various overseas locations. What I do dislike intensely is being preached to about the evils of xxxx. I'm old enough to make up my own mind, thanks very much.........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have an eclectic group of friends :D and I've been camping since I was an infant; it's a fair while.

We don't discuss religion and I don't think anyone's preaching, just giving opinions :D

I doubt the cretin was capable of rape, he was just determined and insistant that the young lady would enjoy his company :rolleyes: scary for her though :(
Two of the other incidents happened among colleagues who really, really ought to have known better. The girlfriend/fire camp was among people that would be considered 'socially excluded'.

Drink affects everybody, rich and poor, educated or illiterate, young or old.
If you're not bothering anyone, or being a danger, do as you like, to my mind.

cheers,
Toddy

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Just seen this. For me I mostly just have a beer or 2, or red wine with meals or when I am making something in the shed after dinner. For some reason I had a bit much one night at the first meet I attended but can remember it all so can't have been too bad, I don't think I annoyed anyone too much. Sometimes I would miss a drink if I couldn't have one. I would usually take beers camping but no more than a six pack for a few days. Agree knives and fires don't mix with drinking but never been so drunk I have forgotten this.

Re sloe gin. I leave all ingredients in a demi john (spelling?) for a month shaking daily and then strain and bottle and leave for at least one year.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think there is a huge amount of difference between enjoying a drink and alcohol abuse. Believe me I've seen both.

I do enjoy a drink but I'm also very aware of my sensible limits. I learned those limits of course by exceeding them foolishly when I was younger as I guess many of us did.

A drunken sot is never as entertaining as they believe they are and an incapable drunk is a liability in any camp, no doubt about it.

Having said that, a few beers around a camp fire in the gloaming when all the sharps have gone away can be a great pleasure.

As for the difference between "liking" and "needing" a drink there have been many a time when I've felt the need for a glass of wine to help me relax after a hard day. It's not every day of course but like many other drugs, such as coffee or tea, it has it's place if used in moderation.

I was brought up with two maxims which have served me well through life: "All things in moderation." and "Never drink alone."

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Spending 12 years playing in punk and folk bands, gigging up to 5 times a week and spending summers on the festival circuits surrounded me with alcohol. My teenage years were spent smashed on beer, cider and whiskey, but as I got older my drinking slowed down. I can't say that it did for all my friends though, and I lost a good friend to drink. Not that he died through alcohol, just that its taken control oh him. He has been arrested more times than I can remember for theft and threatening behaviour and extremes of sticking kitchen knives through his brothers bed and jumping up and down on the same brothers laptop.

That's an extreme though. That is the small percent that I have seen have their live controlled, and possibly ruined by alcohol. The friendships I have made over a pint far outweigh the friends I have lost over one.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
i never drink when i'm out on my own, but do enjoy a good ale or srumpy when sat round the camp fire..but him also happy to sit and sip on a camp made soup or tea :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's not the beer that makes me drunk,it's the pass arounds that catch you out.
I of course have very limited knowledge of such things...;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...As for the difference between "liking" and "needing" a drink there have been many a time when I've felt the need for a glass of wine to help me relax after a hard day. It's not every day of course but like many other drugs, such as coffee or tea, it has it's place if used in moderation...

yeah, me too. When I posted about "needing alcohol" being part of the definition of alcoholism, I was talking about a regular or constant need. As you say it's just like any other drug (and alcohol is a drug) and should be used if truly needed just as you wold use an antibiotic, a sedative, an antihistimene, or whatever. The problem is only IF you need it regularly.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The wife and I drink far far too much. We can't really afford the amount we drink.

That said, we don't *need* to drink, it's just a lazy way of letting go and relaxing when stuck in town and doing tiresome jobs.

I do like a dram - and if camping, a small libation at bedtime is just a pleasure - but I mean a *small* libation, not enough to be 'drinking'.

Living in York, we see too much of the damage of overconsumption. Bars are expensive here and full of young people spending money they don't have. My son being a classic case. He drinks less than me by far, but always drinks in the bars because that's where his mates hang out. Confessed he was spending over £250 a month on booze. That's on a chef's salary.

When outdoors, I'm relaxed anyway, so don't 'need' the drink to relax.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
What I find is that you can go out for a camp by yourself or with one or two friends and not need a drink but larger meets are like a social,meeting up with friends you've not seen since the last and it's just like meeting at the pub.
'Cos you're all of the same ilk,the banter and booze just flows more freely.
Nothing wrong with it,just that the next days plans are usually more subdued than they should at times,for some anyway.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
clearly their is a huge difference between enjoy a few drinks and getting wasted the problem being is once you have had a few their is always the danger of going way over your limit.
all adults here so we should neither condemn or commend anyone who come unstuck (i would challenge most who have commented to be able to say they have never got a bit carried away).
a few drinks round a campfire can be a truely wonderful thing even getting a bit tipsy can be fun its kinda knowing how to keep a lid on it and a quiet word to someone obviously getting carried away might be helpful.
i dont think its ever a good idea to get drunk while camping - lets face it a lot of our kit is pretty expensive (i have a hillberg and the last thing i want is some sloshed wally going over it at night nor do i really want to be using such expensive kit if i am sozzled)- if you want yo get "out of it" their are plenty of music festivals to go to over the summer.
enjoy your fave tiple do your best to avoid over doing it - but if you do, drink loads of water the next day and say sorry to who ever you have to.
avoid the walk of shame the best you can lol

Bartnmax

May 28, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Hi there all.

Ok, as you'll probably know many of us Aussies enjoy a beer or three around the camp fire, especially when camping with mates, etc.
No doubt it makes for a great social atmosphere & some entertaining banter.
However, I also find I am enjoying a 'dry' camp on far more occasions these days.
I think a lot of it has to do with developing a ever growing greater appreciation for clean air as well as peace & quiet.
Sitting around camp enjoying a nice hot cup of black tea whilst listning to the wildlife is such as rewarding experience & especially more so when one tends to value the realisation that there isn't always a need to have alcohol present to enjoy bushcrafting.
There's times when a beer or scotch with friends is still very enjoyable, but more & more these days that enjoyment is turning out for me, to be an alcohol free experience.

Bill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE