sober camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

tommy11

Anyone else here don't drink anymore?

My idea of camping in the past would have been to pitch tent, gather wood etc, then crack open the beers...

I suppose I can't be doing with getting drunk anymore.

Bushcraft can be good fun without alcohol....I mean you could spend hours just carving things from wood and enjoy the sounds of the forest...

maybe I'm ranting here...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Yep - I do drink, I do like to drink, I don't drink as much as I used to - when I was a student I did get horrifically drunk alot of the time, but then I was young and 'probing my boundaries' I'd like to think I'm alittle more responsible now....

So when I go for a walk I don't always have a drink - otherwise I might as well just go down the pub - your quite right there are many many things [not just bushcraft related] that don't depend on being drunk or aren't enhanced by being drunk.

All things in moderation.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I enjoy a drink when out - I dont like to get drunk (or be bothered by drunks) when out.
I have been known to get a little pished in the past ... but never to the point of falling over/hangovers/puling/wasted next days ..
It aint what I am out for!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wouldn't bother me if I never had a 'drink' again.
Never really got the habit of feeling I needed one to be enjoying myself, tbh.
Fine if others want it though, just don't play silly beggars near fire and sharps when well oiled, and it's no bother.

Social libation ?.......is that kettle on ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

T

tommy11

Don't get me wrong I mean I won't go out camping to get smashed...I'm just one of those characters that rarely stops at 2 beers when I do drink...

so I'm knocking it on the head now.

T

tommy11

Change of topic here...I find Twinings Ceylon to be an excellent cup of tea!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've found my alcohol consumption has gone down greatly over the last 3 or 4 years.

I'll take some drink with me to meets but more often than not it's not drunk or maybe one or 2 bottles over the entire weekend.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
When out on my own I seldom drink except occasionally the odd beer or, on a cold night a slug of rum in my last tea of the evening. When with company I enjoy a few drinks around the fire.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
its too expensive anyway.
Not if you make it yourself - homemade wine costs pence, as does home brew ale ... you may get in legal trouble making your own spirits but if you flavour a cheap gin or vodka - as in Sloe Gin and Raspberry Vodka
- then you have a good drink at reasonable cost :)
The amount of booze I carry depends on circumstance ... for a 2 night camp then a bottle of wine is more than adequate (cost aprox £2 for sugar and yeast) and if it is a social meet I may up this to include a 1/2 bottle of sloe gin - losts of sharing (cost about a fiver).
If I am on my own I may well not take a drop of booze or just a nip of whisky to keep out the cold...
I like a drink but can stop any time I want.....

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I don't drink at all apart from on family occasions. It allows me to spend more money out my outdoor activities and means I don't feel ill every weekend like the most my age that drink to excess

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I rarely drink especially now that I'm into hammocking - it's not pleasant having to get up in the night or wee into a bottle!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Anyone else here don't drink anymore?

My idea of camping in the past would have been to pitch tent, gather wood etc, then crack open the beers...

Bushcraft can be good fun without alcohol....I mean you could spend hours just carving things from wood and enjoy the sounds of the forest...

maybe I'm ranting here...

If by anymore you mean "ever" I'm with you. Never seen the need, honestly. Sober means I can enjoy nature. And why else be out there?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE