So, what is a neutral shade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, the master bedroom is an old fashioned rose, but Im not going to change that.

and the boxroom is this doubtful light turquoise shade. (Why I chose that for the room I sleep in I have no idea. But Im happy with it.)

I was thinking of sandy for the hall, stairs and landing. so as not to frighten them away.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It really depends on the function of the room and lighting. Different colours inspire different moods and the same colour will create very different responses dependant on the amount of sunlight the room gets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just use white, but then there's so much stuff in the house that colours would be an overkill. I decorate with bookcases :D :eek:

Seriously though, Tengu ignore this horde of blokes recommending old aged clothing colours :rolleyes:

Go and have a look at 'tones' in the paint charts.
Find something that's fixed in each main room (like your tiles) and find a warm or cool tone that works with it. Like very, very pale creamy peach with terracotta, or pale blue which works with it too :) Remember that curtains and blinds and lightshades are an easy way to introduce colour and interest in a plainish room.

Don't go all dizzy and have one room blue, one purple, one green, one grey, though; find shades that works gently throughout the house. Subtle is the word. Tones and hint of tint are a good way to make rooms look open and airy and spacious and warm or calm. Unremitting mushroom coloured walls aren't a good idea, and modern, "make a statement!", sixties style wallpapers can be a very personal choice. Borders can pick up colours, but in a rented house......they are often too easily damaged/need restuck at edges and ends.

It's okay for Dharma to have orange ceilings, she's an unreconstructed hippy :rolleyes: :D and it suits her somehow :D
but I don't think it's quite you or something most people looking to rent would find appealing; white ceilings are simple, clean and easily maintained.

Basically you want a clean, clear and relatively plain interior that whoever moves in can live with, without feeling either overwhelmed or depressed.

Gentlemen..........I married a man whose idea of bachelor house painting was grey :(...........don't do it Tengu, trust me on this, it's blooming awful :sigh:
Took me months to remove that battleship grey from all the glosswork in the house :sigh: I don't care 'how' trendy it might be now, it's boringly depressing and always looks slightly grubby.

Clean, simple, scrubbed and smelling fresh, and the house will have more appeal than something screaming of someone's personal idiosyncracies, and it won't cost you a fortune in interior decoration either :)

Best of luck with it :D
M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just use white, but then there's so much stuff in the house that colours would be an overkill. I decorate with bookcases :D :eek:

Seriously though, Tengu ignore this horde of blokes recommending old aged clothing colours :rolleyes:

Go and have a look at 'tones' in the paint charts.
Find something that's fixed in each main room (like your tiles) and find a warm or cool tone that works with it. Like very, very pale creamy peach with terracotta, or pale blue which works with it too :) Remember that curtains and blinds and lightshades are an easy way to introduce colour and interest in a plainish room.

Don't go all dizzy and have one room blue, one purple, one green, one grey, though; find shades that works gently throughout the house. Subtle is the word. Tones and hint of tint are a good way to make rooms look open and airy and spacious and warm or calm. Unremitting mushroom coloured walls aren't a good idea, and modern, "make a statement!", sixties style wallpapers can be a very personal choice. Borders can pick up colours, but in a rented house......they are often too easily damaged/need restuck at edges and ends.

It's okay for Dharma to have orange ceilings, she's an unreconstructed hippy :rolleyes: :D and it suits her somehow :D
but I don't think it's quite you or something most people looking to rent would find appealing; white ceilings are simple, clean and easily maintained.

Basically you want a clean, clear and relatively plain interior that whoever moves in can live with, without feeling either overwhelmed or depressed.

Gentlemen..........I married a man whose idea of bachelor house painting was grey :(...........don't do it Tengu, trust me on this, it's blooming awful :sigh:
Took me months to remove that battleship grey from all the glosswork in the house :sigh: I don't care 'how' trendy it might be now, it's boringly depressing and always looks slightly grubby.

Clean, simple, scrubbed and smelling fresh, and the house will have more appeal than something screaming of someone's personal idiosyncracies, and it won't cost you a fortune in interior decoration either :)

Best of luck with it :D
M

"Aaaaww, muuum, you always spoil our fun..."

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The tree in the garden next door to my dads has white flowers with a pink flush.

You are right, I have never seen pale cream magnolias!

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Just go with a cream of some kind - think I used Crown Antique Cream - boring? yes, but its looks fresh, clean and light. Also looks a lot nicer than the white I had used previously.

Homebase seem to have a half price sale on lots of paint at the moment - 2.5 litre pots of Crown paint for £10

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
quite surprised at all the blokes answering this, I definitely subscribe to the "blokes only see in 16 colours. Mauve is NOT a colour" school of thought myself lol.

In all seriousness though i think that White is right in this circumstance and colour can be added with accent items such as colours vases etc.

HTH

Dave

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just do it magnolia, or plain white.

Don't faff about with loads of colours and when your tenants move out its dead easy to repaint it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE