So what have you been up to for the past week?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I attended the induction day for my new job.
This meant injections, blood tests, and a chest x-ray.
Plus a pile of forms for visas, pension plans, and healthcare plans.
I start an 11 week course next monday too.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
i love the moment when it starts going over:) the few of times iv done it it usually goes like this;
panic! chainbrake, pull saw out of the cut, swich off then drop the saw, brace yourself! 'few' im glad thats over and finaly smug cheesey grin:D

pete

Then spare a thought for your poor groundie who has to clear it all up ;)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Went to Carpenters Fellowship "frame" event, that's the annual gathering of UK timber framers, I took some German mates who demonstrated German and Japanese hewing techniques and I ran some axe and knife carving workshops. Back home taught a spooncarving course. Good to see site back up and running.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Footered about with an old compound bow changing the mickey mouse barnett cams for a set of hoyt command cams and home-made strings. Started a new leather water bottle. Got a bit more scraping done on the campfire bow during a very soggy night up at Loch Ard.
Had a great few days out at Scotties pad mackie bashing. Remade the fireplace, built a stone oven(to be tweaked and turfed next time out) and smoked some fish in it. Got burnt to a crisp yesterday and had perfect paddling conditions both ways.

Saw a little basking shark up close, beastie was nearly as big as the canoe but still the smallest I've ever seen. Nice red moonrises too, especially on friday night.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Helped prepare for the Hatfield Forest annual Woodfest. Lots of timber shifting (4 tons+) , mostly by hand and of course tractor/trailer combo! Erected a ru**y enormous stage and canvas cover for the music at said event, biggest 'A frame' I've ever seen and that was just to hold the front open. Then enjoyed the event as a "visitor" with the family on Saturday before going back on Sunday to take photos (for the NT). Had a lot of conversations with green and seasoned woodworkers and a local blacksmith who, I hope, will be making up a few cooking items for me! Got some turned light pulls for firesteel handles (tonights job is to drill out and epoxy!). Oh.....................and a few days work too!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Helped prepare for the Hatfield Forest annual Woodfest. Lots of timber shifting (4 tons+) , mostly by hand and of course tractor/trailer combo! Erected a ru**y enormous stage and canvas cover for the music at said event, biggest 'A frame' I've ever seen and that was just to hold the front open. Then enjoyed the event as a "visitor" with the family on Saturday before going back on Sunday to take photos (for the NT). Had a lot of conversations with green and seasoned woodworkers and a local blacksmith who, I hope, will be making up a few cooking items for me! Got some turned light pulls for firesteel handles (tonights job is to drill out and epoxy!). Oh.....................and a few days work too!

Glad to hear that is still going, I started that event off when I worked as a warden there years ago. First one was just me in a corner of the car park with a woodmizer and piles of timber. Are Ade and Ian still there?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Helped Uncle with garden produce, taught him how to bottle it.

Dont know if he will try it for himself, though.

made some sloe gin

Found loads of hazelnuts

Learned more about my camera.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Spent the week with SWMBO paddling and very wild camping down the Green River in Utah, saw lots of Mountain Lion tracks and something with a loud voice growled at us as we floated by a stand of Tamarisks:eek:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
A neighbour gave me a once-worn hat he claimed to have no use for. Turned out to be an "Akubra Territory" that was only a little to tight!

After wet re-forming to my head's contours (wrap head in two layers of bandage and then force into desired position for 8 hrs!) I figured my prize deserved a little ornamentation:

1. Custom-made leather retainer with antler toggles and buffalo horn tipped keeper.
2. New hat band formed of handsewen leather, blocked off-cut from a leopard's pelt to receive brass rams head insignia.
3. Leather-mounted favourite archery badge stitched to back of hat.
4. Brass badge of ordinance significance fitted to front.

Now I think about it I may have overdone the embellishment but that is most certainly Tony's fault!! Well, it was either this or book into rehab!

Next server down project will comprise of stout holly stick, antler, stainless steel and ............................

Cheers

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Well went and played with Dave Budd and Rod at Daves forge, woke myself up with the volume of my own snoring during the night!

Tony, I looked up DDOS attacks, wow thats nasty, who would want to put BCUK off line like that? When you find the swine, lets all go round and
hone our sharps on his head... boy if your reading this, we are looking for you!:AR15firin

Sandsnakes

Spent the week in Denmark teaching climbing and rescue from windturbines plus some first aid.

Had great fun getting walkie talkies through security at the airport - bit my tongue when they told me that items that can transmit can not be taken with you despite allowing my mobile phone and wireless laptop through (thoughts of rubber gloves and areas of my anattomy meeting made me keep a fixed smile in place and pointing out that there is no mention in the restricted items list of two way radios)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE