so many lessons from one nights work...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
here's a few things i learnt from lastnights shift. read, laugh and enjoy!

1) buy a quality wind/water proof & breathable jacket

2) dont leave the pockets of the aforementioned jacket open in a torrential down pour

3) own a pair of gortex or similar trousers/leggings

4) dont leave them at home

5) wear a wide brimmed hat in heavy rain, or at least remember to use the built in hood

6) drive slowly down country lanes, its easyer to avoid fallen trees (i did, btw)

7) dont be tempted by the over priced junk in a petrol station just because a lass that works there is cute, especially if she isnt on shift at the time

8) horses are really stupid

9) VW heaters are awesome

10) no matter how soaked you are, you will feel better after a cup of tea

:yelrotflm

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
R-J said:
here's a few things i learnt from lastnights shift. read, laugh and enjoy!

1) buy a quality wind/water proof & breathable jacket

2) dont leave the pockets of the aforementioned jacket open in a torrential down pour

3) own a pair of gortex or similar trousers/leggings

4) dont leave them at home

5) wear a wide brimmed hat in heavy rain, or at least remember to use the built in hood

6) drive slowly down country lanes, its easyer to avoid fallen trees (i did, btw)

7) dont be tempted by the over priced junk in a petrol station just because a lass that works there is cute, especially if she isnt on shift at the time

8) horses are really stupid

9) VW heaters are awesome

10) no matter how soaked you are, you will feel better after a cup of tea

:yelrotflm

First of all :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Point 2) ALWAYS make sure that your pockets/rucksacks are secure. :rolleyes:

Point 8) Cows are much more stupid and they can be nasty buggers.

Point 10) A universal truth. :D

leon-1

Nice one R-J:D

I didn't do too bad on the list untill we hit, number 6

6). I don't drive.:rolleyes:
7). I don't drive so my only reason for being in a petrol station would be food or cigarettes, the latter of which I am trying to give up.:rolleyes:
8). I am with Border Reiver with this one, and they are a far better mode of transport:).
9). If there was a VW heater there then I would probably be pushing it in which case I wouldn't need it.:D
10). would come in handy after pushing said VW:D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
thats all good stuff but you've got me wanting to hear the story of what happened
heavy rain, very wet man, fallen tree, wandering horse.
i can piece things together but the origional story will be more interesting.

James

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
jdlenton said:
thats all good stuff but you've got me wanting to hear the story of what happened
heavy rain, very wet man, fallen tree, wandering horse.
i can piece things together but the original story will be more interesting.

James

naa, i'm sure what youve pieced together is more fun then the real thing "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" n'll that. here goes anyway, sorry for the disappointment...

i work for redwings horse sanctuary, doing night welfare and security, and last night was the worse weather i've been out in since i was about 17 and on work-placement in the lakes.

1-5) the wipers were on max, the rain was commin' sideways & due to my own foolishness i got a bit wet! torso was good, but legs/neck wasnt good!

6) trying to get back to the main farm to finish the shift there was a rather nicely layed tree across the road so we had to divert that took and extra 20-odd min

7) just me :yelrotflm

8) the horses were stood in the fields when there are perfectly good shelters/stables

9) gettin in my car to go home and having that heater dry me out way on the verge of divine

10) as BorderReiver says, a universal truth

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
Spikey DaPikey said:
If it makes you feel any better, i also was out without my hat, and got a good soaking as well :eek:

Live and learn eh ;)

totaly dude, a mistake is cool as long as you learn from it. not gonna use the locking the stable door after the horse has bolted line, dammit!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I could act like a smug so-and-so and let you know that I was on nights last night as well (Security). I remembered my waterproof, reflective coat, I took my ex-dutch-army goretex overtrousers AND my wide brimmed hat...

BUT... when it all hit the fan at aboput 02.30hrs I had to leave the office in such a hurry I left the lot behind, relying on the weather protection properties of a Land Rover ... which I soon had to leave and ended up standing in about 4" of water in no more than my trousers, shirt and woolly jumper, for about 20 mins whilst trying to mend a faulty automatic gate.
Hell, even my work-issued boots leaked like a sieve. By the time I got back to the office everything was wet and cold. Everything. :(

No. 4 is the real killer on your list!
No.10.. No truer word ever spoken!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
leon-1 said:
7). I don't drive so my only reason for being in a petrol station would be food or cigarettes, the latter of which I am trying to give up.:rolleyes:

Leon, I'm going to change your life.

Buy this book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...65715/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-6398198-6504419

0141026898.02._PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've been "clean" now for 5 weeks. I'm a non-smoker and was from the minute I put out my last fag 5 weeks ago. I will never smoke again. I smoked 30 a day for 25 years and was convinced I would never be able to give up - I couldn't even imagine life without cigarettes - they were my best friend, my crutch for all seasons. If I could do one thing, I would give a copy of this book to all smokers.
It'll be the best £8 quid you ever spend. This probably breaches every one of Tony's no advertising rules, but I hope he lets it slip, because I'm now a non smoker, it was easy and it was thanks to this book.

Sorry to sound like an evangelist, but that's kind of how I feel on this subject.

Buy it now.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
jdlenton said:
sounds like you had a fun night your story was beeter than mine :D

James

really! what were you thinking of...

Longstrider said:
I could act like a smug so-and-so and let you know that I was on nights last night as well (Security). I remembered my waterproof, reflective coat, I took my ex-dutch-army goretex overtrousers AND my wide brimmed hat...

BUT... when it all hit the fan at aboput 02.30hrs I had to leave the office in such a hurry I left the lot behind, relying on the weather protection properties of a Land Rover ... which I soon had to leave and ended up standing in about 4" of water in no more than my trousers, shirt and woolly jumper, for about 20 mins whilst trying to mend a faulty automatic gate.
Hell, even my work-issued boots leaked like a sieve. By the time I got back to the office everything was wet and cold. Everything. :(

No. 4 is the real killer on your list!
No.10.. No truer word ever spoken!

i feel for you dude, i was lucky enough to be wearing my gortex when feeding as the rain started!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
R_J said:
really! what were you thinking of...
Rubish like i used to get up to
driving around the counrty in the wet come up on a fallen tree, horse as escaped because tree took down fence, help local man get horse find way round tree and carry on driving vai petrol station with fit girl who's not on shift send next two hours of trip drying out in car then have to get out and fix computers!!!!!!!

your story is better than mine

Longstrider said:
when it all hit the fan at aboput 02.30hrs I had to leave the office in such a hurry I left the lot behind

Dow you never did. An old plumber i used to work with used to say "up here for thinking down there for dancing" nuff said :D

James

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
jdlenton said:
driving around the counrty in the wet come up on a fallen tree, horse as escaped because tree took down fence, help local man get horse find way round tree and carry on driving vai petrol station with fit girl who's not on shift send next two hours of trip drying out in car then have to get out and fix computers!!!!!!!

James

lol, yeh i supose so. nice story mind, 'part from the fixing computers.... :lmao:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Martyn said:

Buy this book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141026898/qid=1140065715/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-6398198-6504419

I've been "clean" now for 5 weeks. I'm a non-smoker and was from the minute I put out my last fag 5 weeks ago. I will never smoke again. I smoked 30 a day for 25 years and was convinced I would never be able to give up - I couldn't even imagine life without cigarettes - they were my best friend, my crutch for all seasons. If I could do one thing, I would give a copy of this book to all smokers.
It'll be the best £8 quid you ever spend. This probably breaches every one of Tony's no advertising rules, but I hope he lets it slip, because I'm now a non smoker, it was easy and it was thanks to this book.

Sorry to sound like an evangelist, but that's kind of how I feel on this subject.

Buy it now.

Just ordered it, cheers Martyn I'll see how it goes. Congratulations on the 5 weeks btw.

Matt

leon-1

Martyn said:

Buy this book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141026898/qid=1140065715/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-6398198-6504419

Buy it now.

Cheers Martyn,

I have seen this one before and heard good things about it. I have his one on alcohol as well, as you probably know that one has definately worked for me, so once I have tried the non smoking side of life, I'll get you a beer when we meet:beerchug:.

As lithril said though mate, congratulations on week5 (I have been there before and know what it's like and how difficult it can be).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE