Snugpak Underquilt worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
With the cooler weather just around the corner, I've been wondering if a Snugpak underquilt would be a good idea for use with my DD Travel Hammock.

Can anyone give me an opinion on this item?... seems well priced and not overly heavy.

Would I notice a significant difference compared to the self inflating pad I've been using so far?

cheers
Gareth

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
Have slept out in my 'Hennessey, in a severe gale with and got a cosy night's sleep. Get one and have a good night's sleep.

TGB

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A great bit of kit, I used mine down to -9 without any probs.

I only traded mine in because I wanted to reduce bulk and weight and got a US down replacement.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Been down to -10 in mine, wouldn't want to use a sleep mat again. They are pretty bulky, so not much cop for mobile expeditions, but for vehicle-based camping they're just perfect.

garethw

Settler
Hi Guys
I've now ordered one on your glowing reviews...

A question... What is your hanging sysytem with it?
I use whoopie slings on a DD Travel hammock....

Would you suggest a couple of small carabiners to attach it with a pusrik loop or something?
I've not found a detailed review or video on this point...

No doubt I'll work it out.. and a professional cameraman may even do one!!!

cheers
Gareth

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What are these underblankets made from? How close to the underside of the hammock do they sit? They look cosy but not too practical for backpacking...

garethw

Settler
What are these underblankets made from? How close to the underside of the hammock do they sit? They look cosy but not too practical for backpacking...
They are hollow fibre... and Yes they are a bit bulky, but then my thermorest was not exactly small or light at 700g. This item is marginally bulkier, and about 300g heavier... if its performance is as has been stated, it will be well worth the extra bulk & weight.
I don't hike massive distances with a large pack.. did a couple of hours this summer with 18kg no worries. I'll do a review when I have one..
cheers
Gareth

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wonder if a cheap single down duvet cut down a bit & sewn inside some tent nylon would do as good a job (or just bastardise an old envelope sleeping bag)?

The weight doesn't worry me as much as the bulk - I've got a massive Bergen but my sleeping bag completely fills it

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've a Vango Venom 200 rectangular sleeping bag that I haven't used once for sleeping out this year, it doesn't seem to have any filling.

It may get...ahem...modified.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE