Snugpak or DD underquilt for large hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi all,

I'm looking to supplement my winter sleep system with an underquilt/blanket.
After a little bit of research I've realised trying to improvise my own might be a fools errand. I thought I just needed to cut down on wind chill but it seems you need to create a warm layer of air trapped underneath you.
Obviously I'm sure I could rig something up with an old sleeping bag if I got some shock cord and had the patience/skill. But now I'm thinking rather than spending time and effort trying to avoid buying an underquilt. Only to prove the concept and then end up buying an underquilt. I may as well just get one now.

I have a really large hennessey hammock - Jungle Safari, and I'm a big guy 6'4".
I've been looking at both the DD underquilt and the Snugpak underblanket.

Any thoughts at which is better or if there is a better alternative out there?

I'm not interested in down as I have a feather allergy.
At this point volume is more important than weight but ideally both would be good.

If anyone has ended up making their own which they prefer I'd love to hear about them too.

Many Thanks
Ken

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I've just completed my first overnight in a hammock last weekend. My feet ended up being cold as I used an inflatable mat that is about 2' wide and I ended up going diagonal in my TW Green Hornet. I was advised by the guys on the meet weekend (Camp Bazza crew) that the Snugpak is the better of the 2. It's thicker/warmer than the DD, but the DD has better attachment fittings. I got the Snugpak. Its 210cm long so you should have some room to spare.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep, had both and the snugpack is warmer. The snugpacks suspension system is completely stupid
Its ok though because you've got the cinch cords at each end so all you have to do is attach the primary suspension to your hammock ridgeline

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
If you are going for the Snugpak get some mini carabiners and put some prussic loops on your ridge line/tarp suspension lines. Put overhand knot loops on the ends of the 4 bungee lines at each end, this will make it easier for you to hook everything up. I tried it all out in the yard yesterday, but couldn't film it as the neighbours' son had got his mates round watching the footy and the were being too noisy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE