Snowmegadon UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It always amazes me how a couple of inches of snow brings everything to a halt and nobody can cope, drive their car and panic buys everything they can lay their hands on. I remember the 1962 or was it 63 freeze. At the time we lived in a prefab , basically a tin house. The only heating was one coal fire in the living room. Ice on the single glazed metal framed windows on the inside. Waking up with a cold nose and ears... and chilblains. Igloos in the garden that dad built and taking the wheels of the brothers pram and making a sled from the pram frame somehow. Coal came by horse and cart. And the cream on the milk bottles froze on the doorstep and burst the foil seal making cream ice lollies. The birds learned to peck the foil to drink the cream from the top of the bottles. We walked everywhere or rode on the sled. Including to school. No snow days then.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
It always amazes me how a couple of inches of snow brings everything to a halt and nobody can cope, drive their car and panic buys everything they can lay their hands on. I remember the 1962 or was it 63 freeze. At the time we lived in a prefab , basically a tin house. The only heating was one coal fire in the living room. Ice on the single glazed metal framed windows on the inside. Waking up with a cold nose and ears... and chilblains. Igloos in the garden that dad built and taking the wheels of the brothers pram and making a sled from the pram frame somehow. Coal came by horse and cart. And the cream on the milk bottles froze on the doorstep and burst the foil seal making cream ice lollies. The birds learned to peck the foil to drink the cream from the top of the bottles. We walked everywhere or rode on the sled. Including to school. No snow days then.

You were lucky!

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I guess anyone born in the dark ages like me could do a pretty good parody of that sketch. Seriously tho that was a snowmageddon for real. What we have now is just normal winter. I do feel for the U. S. tho. It's realy serious there. We got nothing to worry about at present here in the UK. It may change tho . Nothing wrong with being prepared. Just stop all the media hype !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I guess anyone born in the dark ages like me could do a pretty good parody of that sketch. Seriously tho that was a snowmageddon for real. What we have now is just normal winter. I do feel for the U. S. tho. It's realy serious there. We got nothing to worry about at present here in the UK. It may change tho . Nothing wrong with being prepared. Just stop all the media hype !
Stop all the media hype and we probably wouldn't have a media at all; some may see this as a positive thing :bawling:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes for sure . Did you know that today we are going to be hit by an asteroid that's gonna wipe us all out. (Nassa said so). It actually flew past two weeks ago safely missing us and is now exiting the solar system. Phew! But it's comming back in 2040 so get in all the living you can now folks! Snowmageddon is playtime!

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey

The thing about that which the media haven’t yet considered, is what happens when all that snow and ice melts!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The best bit is that they saw it only after it had passed us, if that is the same space rock.

Many Scandis see you Brits as a bit of a joke in winter, but I always remind them that it is the circumstances that gives UK the problems.
No winter tyres, no mandatory winter training, most people live in cities. Councils do not have the equipment, or are not prepared.

The last week, Lofoten got huge amounts of snow, approx. 1.5 meters. Not inches, METERS.
Everything stopped. Roads unpassable for a couple of days, closed. Local councils paralyzed. No food deliveries. Some above land powerlines cut.

People in my village went out and shoveled paths all through the village, so in case of emergency sick people could be carried to the Heli pad ( which they shoveled clear).

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Interesting week for us as the boiler was condemned last Friday and due to issues with the first engineer, didn’t get replaced until yesterday.

Yes it was cold, not that cold really, we had electric heaters and it was too warm for outdoor kit.

The biggest inconvenience was no instant hot water, the tap water was really cold to wash your hands in, hands hurt afterwards.

In reality apart from the hot water it was very much like my first house as an adult and as a child where we had no central heating, but we aren’t used to it anymore.

Sent using Tapatalk

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
'Course, we 'ad it tough!

My folks brought a big house in the 70's. Mortgaged to the hilt, so we couldn't afford to do it up for a while.
Single skin walls, draughty ill fitting doors and iron framed leaded windows.
There was central heating, fitted the last time the place had anythiung done to it, which was probably after the war. It had a few of the big old cast iron radiators, that did bugger all. In the winters, we had calor gas heaters everywhere, which did little more than generate moisture, and caused the windows to freeze up on the insides.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just by way of supporting the group …..

4x4 Response Wales is a charity made up of volunteers (around 200 at the moment I believe) that own 4x4 vehicles and provide support to the health boards and the emergency planning organisations for local authorities in times of bad weather and emergency. The volunteers give up their time and use their vehicles to carry out such tasks as getting nurses and doctors to patients in remote locations when a normal vehicle can't get through. I know they've already been called out several times this week.

There's a National 4x4 Response organisation covering England and Scotland though I'm not sure of the total coverage.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just had a truly horrible thought, I shall probably have to go into therapy after this. What if it snows on the 29th March. Civilisation cannot possibly cope with that, it will be the Donner pass on steroids.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
We won't know what happens on that date for a good few years to come, if ever. But there might be a postponement; as recent events show there are no surprises in these times.

Better shut up, I'm skating on thin ice here, eh? :meh:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Talking of thin ice ......

Jack Frost's hammock....agin my wee shed this morning ;)

img

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Looking at that photograph, I wonder if Spiders have to wear 4 pairs of crampons when nipping out to lunch in such icy conditions, or just rely on their 8 wheel drive?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Looking at that photograph, I wonder if Spiders have to wear 4 pairs of crampons when nipping out to lunch in such icy conditions, or just rely on their 8 wheel drive?

I wasn't aware spiders had wheels. Learn something new everyday.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE