Snowmegadon UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finally got proper snow! Almost an inch now.sled now has one eye open and is waching out the window with feigned disinterest. Snowboots knocked on the cupboard door asking to be let out and the neighbours cat wanted in as his people are not home. He looks poorly runny eyes and violent sneezing fits. Afraid he has cat flu so I'm not leaving him out in this.

Reactions: Janne

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Well, my last post on the subject was 7.49pm so this one is just 2 hours later and the world outside has certainly changed. Still snowing hard and drifting in the wind so road and pavements that I can see, appear to have merged into flat areas of snow. Enough to be inconvenient for the early workers tomorrow I suspect. As a retired wrinkly I shall of course merely hibernate..........:D

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fake news to get you good people to leap out and squander a bundle on a set of rims and alpine tires.

I don't believe it's "Global Warming" so much as "Climate Change" with many more short but intense extremes.
For example, we are about to experience a fairly sudden temperature drop from about -2C to -30C
in the space of 12-18 hours. -30C and colder happens here for a night or two, every 5+ years.

Highest shade air temperature I ever noted here was +45C.
Then you know what grape vine shade really means.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
We've got about 4 or 5 inches all over the garden now. My raised beds are nearly coverd and they are six inches high. The cat has gone home now after sneezing snotty stuff all over me for two hours. Lots of sqirty dettol has been deployed. Poor thing is very sick. Temp is -4 and dropping. Can't wait till morning to go tracking over the fields. Try out my ikea stove that I made tonight with a brew. And take the sled for a slither. Still a big kid at heart really.

Tansi

I hear you guys have had some winter weather.

My friend in England thought you might like to know our weather.

Well its been below freezing since october /november (about minus ten degrees C) . and right now its around -30c below freezing and a little windy. Its will be like this temperature until late march or april.
But we only have a little snow. Maybe around a foot in some places. Further south maybe about three or four foot of snow and bit colder too.

Joe

Reactions: Toddy and Nomad64

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Absolutely nothing at all here and it doesn't look like we're going to get any. I don't know where the cut-off is; I believe south of Llandrindod Wells there's been 10cm or so but an hour further north not even a dusting!

I'm not disappointed; I like snow but I've just got too much I have to get on with.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
we have about 3mm of the stuff, bit lame. Friends have been sending me pictures of being snowed in! snot fair...

Joe, sounds a lot more serious there than here in the UK, it's fair to say though that you guys know how to deal with it, since the 70's we've become less and less capable as we get the white stuff less and less. When I lived in Newfoundland and the eastern seaboard we had some good snow!
Stay safe!

Reactions: Joe tahkahikew

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Absolutely nothing at all here and it doesn't look like we're going to get any. I don't know where the cut-off is; I believe south of Llandrindod Wells there's been 10cm or so but an hour further north not even a dusting!

I'm not disappointed; I like snow but I've just got too much I have to get on with.

I’m about 10 miles south of Llandod - we’ve got an inch or two here and the sun is trying to get out.

Ground frozen solid so the 200 or so trees I’ve got left to plant will have to wait.

Very scenic but as you say a pain when you’ve got things to do.

F5826F4C-FBB5-44A1-9647-3550EEF4717E.jpeg

B9D4E9E3-8CFB-4AC9-A74E-5CC80C0F2EF0.jpeg

Reactions: Joe tahkahikew
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I estimate this weathermageddonbombapocalypse event, has brought the barren savannahs and steppes of Hove to a standstill, with about 11/16ths of an inch of snow.

Don’t even get me started on this mad howling slight breeze, it’ll drive the locals to ordering their Waitrose prosecco online if it continues.

We’re barricading ourselves in until the Spring thaw, so the usually marauding Porsche Cayenne, inappropriately dressed for driving... or anything other than looking in a mirror like an anxious Budgie..., 4.0l, 2 tonne, 4x4, shopping car drivers, can’t seek refuge in our porch, while their boyfriends mate (who owns genuine Burberry trainers) organises his flock of semi-domesticated and oddly financed chavs to rescue them, before their eyelashes splinter and fingernail glue dries.

That reminds me. I must sell my Freelander 2 19” alloys, as I need to reclaim some garage space.

It don’t snow like wot it used-teh

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
When I looked out of the window just before Midnight last night it was at driving snow and a bleak white scene. This morning the World looks decidedly Moth eaten...:D
The snow is melting rapidly, the fields look like badly worn carpets with large areas of grass showing through the disappearing snow. Local radio seems to have lost interest as we are all going to survive it seems. The threat of hairy Mammoths invading the high street has lost it's place in the news bulletins to a local planning application to squeeze 182 houses onto an ex school playing field, which the developers insist will "enhance the local environment "....Eh??...:laugh:

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tansi

I hear you guys have had some winter weather.

My friend in England thought you might like to know our weather.

Well its been below freezing since october /november (about minus ten degrees C) . and right now its around -30c below freezing and a little windy. Its will be like this temperature until late march or april.
But we only have a little snow. Maybe around a foot in some places. Further south maybe about three or four foot of snow and bit colder too.

Joe

That's proper Winter, Joe, we just freeze up for a few days and then it thaws, goes sodden wet, and then it'll freeze up again. It'll do that right through until Spring too.
There's a pale white ball low in the sky just now, just barely seen through the overcast cold clouds. It's still lovely outside there though, my garden is wonderland of icy things :)

M

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
South Bedfordshire got 2-3 inches of fairly heavy, wet snow that had finished falling by 6am today. Right now it is melting, but not all that fast, except from my un-insulated kitchen roof, where the poor snowflakes never stood a chance in the first place!

I know it is patheticly little snow, but it has been enough that a large part of our engineering office, including me, have opted to work from home. We have had plenty of experience of what even this small amount of snow can do to early morning roads and agreed it wasn't worth the risk or trouble, for this one day in the year. I have seldom been stuck in snow by myself, it is usually a case that someone else has got stuck and brought the road to a standstill, then everyone winds up spinning wheels in slush the consistency of grease.

As for last year's snow, I had the joy of having a flight to catch that morning, for work. Taxi that was meant to pick me up and get me to Heathrow crashed before reaching me. Replacement took something crazy like five and a half hours to travel 20 miles, the M1 was chaos with a single row of cars in a crawling slalom between jack-knifed lorries. Sure, Minneapolis was colder, at -13C, but their roads were clear.

About two years ago I had to drive across Connecticut and we had snow, just a couple of inches, but it was every bit as much no-fun as the same conditions in the UK. No one else looked particularly well prepared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE