Snowmegadon UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Just enough snow to frustrate my plans to be over on the Mendips today but the (somewhat inappropriately named) Black Mountains were not looking too shabby at sunset. :)

EDFE52DA-B4E0-4A8C-82C2-8DE9399DB5F1.jpeg

Reactions: Broch and Toddy

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
All gone here, although at the bottom of the hill is a grey misshapen melting pile that looks like congealed Porridge. Quite nostalgic for me as it reminds me of my one and only attempt at making dough for bread...:)

Reactions: Macaroon

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lots of fake news about winter tires out there. Misrepresentation can hurt you.
If they are not marked as such, they are not genuine alpine tires. Sipes, rubber, all of it.
I'm confident that we have a good grasp of seasonal differences here.

Today is another avalanche control day, the only highway running east is closed until about 6:30 PM.
We have no detours at all in the mountains. Forget going there.
It was dry for a couple of weeks so the slab surfaces are pretty weak.
Nobody dead yet (only 3 in January) but some biggies set off by ignorant sledders
who don't care who might be 1+ miles down slope.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Ah yes, thanks. I used to do quite a lot of backpacking in both (Black Mountains and the Beacons). I always liked the Black Mountains because they were quieter - empty even.

Black Mountains at dawn this morning.

51420554-516D-4F55-ACD2-CBC3C1D75494.jpeg

Brecon Beacons this morning - Cribyn, PyF and Corn Du on the right.

413BB576-B625-42AF-95C5-F12B29992374.jpeg

PyF in particular as the highest peak around here (but an easy walk up from the carpark) is a real magnet and does get a bit crowded at weekends.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I should have gone to the shops but the WX said it was -27C and with the wind, the chill was equivalent to -40C.
The sounds of abrasives running over adze and crooked knife bevels was soothing!

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
-4 here last night. Lots of the snow has gone but black ice everywhere. Thank goodness for my ice grips on my boots! No buses for two days now. Walking about is beautiful but hazardous.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
-4 here last night. Lots of the snow has gone but black ice everywhere. Thank goodness for my ice grips on my boots! No buses for two days now. Walking about is beautiful but hazardous.

It was like that here last week (not the buses, the ice everywhere) thankfully it didn't last. I hope it thaws away quickly down south too. Not funny to try to get anything done in it, just accidents waiting to happen.

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Its not even that cold round me. Managed to sleep in the garden in the hammock with my daughter, didn't bother with a tarp as lovely clear skies. Daughter was pointing out the big dipper, I pointed out Cassiopeia. The wife said it'd be - 7 c, I think she was exaggerating a little! It did get a little chilly for my bum as I didn't use an under quilt, just my jerven as a cocoon and a liner sleeping bag opened as a top quilt. Slept through till half six :)

Tiny bit of snow this afternoon, really really big fluffy flakes. Not settling.

Reactions: Nomad64 and Janne

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Had a light dusting Thursday night, enough to make a Snowman if you were really determined and chaos followed lol. Schools closed, bin collections cancelled and scavenger hordes buying every loaf of bread in town. Saturday morning just small patches left clinging to shadows of hedgerows, today not a trace.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am envious, the only snow like substance I see is when I open the freezer and see that it needs cleaning.....
Looking forward my trip to Norway next month. Feeling the cold bite your cheeks and nose, seeing the sparkle on twigs and branches.

Did any of you notice how the sounds around you change when it has snowed?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
-5.7C when I went to bed last night, woke this morning to +1.9C
It's a slippy mess out there, and it's supposed to sleet today.
I brought the rushes in to dry off, so I think I'll just stay in.

M

Cold overnight and clouding over a bit now but we’ve had a glorious morning with blue skies and sunshine.

Ground still too hard for planting so taking the opportunity to knock back a thuggish laurel - I know it’s not the best time to do it but they are very hardy! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE