Snow snow snow!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Had my tent up in my yard to see how it performed in snow conditions, woke up this morning to this! We received around 25-30 cm of the lovely white stuff in the last 24 hours, will shovel it out in a bit and spend the afternoon in it!

ry6unyna.jpg

6abyjapy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Had my tent up in my yard to see how it performed in snow conditions, woke up this morning to this! We received around 25-30 cm of the lovely white stuff in the last 24 hours, will shovel it out in a bit and spend the afternoon in it!

ry6unyna.jpg

6abyjapy.jpg

Hi Captaincrash,

Is that a Mountain Hardwear tent lurking under the snow? Just going by the pole clips. Looks like good snow to go out and play in.

Goatboy.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Hi Captaincrash,

Is that a Mountain Hardwear tent lurking under the snow? Just going by the pole clips. Looks like good snow to go out and play in.

Goatboy.

Eureka exo 5th season tent somewhere under there!
yhe4evu9.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent; all we've got is sodden wet with occasional flurries of sodden sleet :rolleyes:

Once woke up at camp and thought I'd way overslept since it was so bright. Unzipped the tent door (old fashioned A frame two man) and stared straight into a wall of snow about a metre deep :yikes:
It was windy and that seemed to have kept one side of the tent roof blown clear, but the sunlight reflected on all that snow was as bright as Summer :)
Fun getting out of the tent though :rolleyes:

Stay safe :)

cheers,
Toddy

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Time to show off my ignorance again :)

Given that looks like a fairly full covering how much of an issue is air quality in the tent when you're buried like that?

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Time to show off my ignorance again :)

Given that looks like a fairly full covering how much of an issue is air quality in the tent when you're buried like that?

It's a serious issue. A snow sealed tent can kill you.

If you expect that much snow, you have to get up every couple of hours, knock the snow off and make sure the vents are open or else you risk suffocating.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I never go out without knowing the weather forecast because as stated a snow sealed tent is the same a putting a plastic bag over your head, Deadly! I'm testing out a bunch of new gear and wasn't sleeping in the tent the night we received the snow. If I were planning on sleeping in it during a snowstorm it would also plan to be up frequently in the night to clear it away. Its a simple process, i unzip the doors and clear away the snow on the vestibules without getting out of the sleeping bag. Not a huge inconvenience given the alternative! That being said, I spent a couple hours in the tent yesterday at a temp of minus 12c with a windchill of minus 20c and was quite comfortable inside the tent!!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Here's some pictures from yesterday's visit to the tent, it was minus 12c out with a windchill of minus 20. I had my candle lantern going and as you can see warm and comfortable inside with lots of fresh air venting for safety!
apyzurav.jpg

ryjapupe.jpg

eny9e8yb.jpg

a8yju6a3.jpg

Another note was the performance of the trangia stove, i carried the alcohol and burner in my pocket to keep it warm and the small frying pan was placed under the burner and stand to insulate it from the cold ground. It performed flawlessly and I had a nice hot cup of chaga tea and some Thai ramen noodles in very little time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE