Snare Wire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all

Can anyone advise the best sort of wire to use for snares?

I've read other threads regarding the use of brass / other materials, in single strand / braided - although I haven't seen any advice on what thickness / gauge of wire to use.

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to get some - not necessarily a whole reel, perhaps I guess 10 metres or so?

Thanks in advance.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Try light or medium gauge picture hanging wire from a DIY store or hardware shop.
Pick up a small bag of eyelets at the same time and you're set.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Improviser

Tenderfoot
You could use stainless steel locking wire thats used in the aircraft/motorsport industry,has a high tensile strength.
Standard diameter is around 0.8mm but there is a smaller available (used on ejection seats) of approx 0.5mm.
Any engineering supply firm should stock above or similar although it will probably be sold as a reel & could work out expensive unless they'll sell by the meter.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Try light or medium gauge picture hanging wire from a DIY store or hardware shop.
Pick up a small bag of eyelets at the same time and you're set.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I'll second that suggestion. Multi-strand picture hanging wire works well and will take a beating. Double the wire, put a stick in one end and twist the wire so that a loop forms around the stick. Break the stick and now you have a very strong but flexible piece of snare wire with a small loop at one end.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
When my dad taught me how to snare rabbits, he made the snares out of 2.5mm electrical copper wire with the insulation removed. Really easy to make, and free if you know an electrician.

Cheers, Michael.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
IIRC, the Victorian naturalist/poacher/gamekeeper Richard Jefferies advised soft copper wire. Have a look for his books - they're full of interesting information. He goes into some detail regarding how to set snares, including how to snare a pike.

Jim

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Have a look at Buckshot Hemmings snares (down the page)

Snares

He also sells the materials but they are all available in the UK

I spent a week with him in Vermont and his method is the way to go. He is a professional hunter and trapper and uses the snares in the picture, they make our wire snares look like toys and gosh do they work! He says and I am convinced, that a swivel is necessary to stop the animal just twisting up the snare and they must be securely fixed, a wooden peg is not enough, a 2" tree or a buried 6"x6" plate 12" in the ground is the minimum.

His design detail is illegal in the UK as they lock as they tighten but it is easy enough to adapt the design to UK specs and add a stop.

He strongly recommends Conibear traps and we can get them in the UK to the same design and UK legal, I like the 110 and 116 sizes:

Magnum Trap

They really work well, mind your fingers.

Make sure you read the DEFRA Code of Practice on snaring and you will not go far wrong:

DEFRA COP

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Have a look at Buckshot Hemmings snares (down the page)

Snares

He also sells the materials but they are all available in the UK

I spent a week with him in Vermont and his method is the way to go. He is a professional hunter and trapper and uses the snares in the picture, they make our wire snares look like toys and gosh do they work! He says and I am convinced, that a swivel is necessary to stop the animal just twisting up the snare and they must be securely fixed, a wooden peg is not enough, a 2" tree or a buried 6"x6" plate 12" in the ground is the minimum.

His design detail is illegal in the UK as they lock as they tighten but it is easy enough to adapt the design to UK specs and add a stop.

He strongly recommends Conibear traps and we can get them in the UK to the same design and UK legal, I like the 110 and 116 sizes:

Magnum Trap

They really work well, mind your fingers.

Make sure you read the DEFRA Code of Practice on snaring and you will not go far wrong:

DEFRA COP

Buckshot's snare kit is great and reasonably priced. Comes in a nice little belt pack. He's done some experimenting with small single-strand wire snares and on his videos he shows that they are often broken and game is lost. Even cable snares get all twisted up for something as small as a snowshoe hare. That's why I recommend picture hanging wire. I think it's more robust than small single-strand wire. I have a friend that has used it on snowshoes since he was a kid (he's 64 now) and it has worked well for him. I personally know it works well on ground squirrels. :)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Anyone tried guitar strings? I have a few to try out but not much opportunity where I live - Trying to bribe my daughter to run the gauntlet as a guinea pig but she's not too keen!

Magentus

Thanks for all your responses.

I like the idea of multi-strand picture hanging wire - especially as I think I've already got some in the garage.

Tengu, thanks for your offer, but as stated I think I'm sorted.

Just for clarification, I've read previously that the snare 'must' be made from multi-strand brass wire - I've scan-read the DEFRA CoP which IanM posted the link to, but didn't notice any reference - can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks again.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
the U.S. military use 24 gauge brass wire in thier survival kits, and thats my choice in my kits...i think the U.K. forces use 24 gauge also in thier kits..it's not only used for snares but as a easy to use utility wire ..i used it once from my survival tin in panama to repair my glasses in the field... vince g. 11b inf..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE