Head torch recommendations. Red lamp priority.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi folks,

Collective flashoholics advice please.

I have had many head lamps over the years but recent research is coming up with a bewildering array. Also the price range is pretty vast too. I don't mind paying a few quid for a lamp as I have in the past but the likes of petzl seem to be double what they used to be. But at the same time quality issues and cheaper tech elsewhere.

What is also making the search harder is they all seem to focus on the power of the white light and to be honest I used the red far more often. The ones I do find seem to have an incredibly low red light output making them only useful for very close up work. I was something that will throw red far enough to navigate around camp or back to tent etc.

The other things I am after are USB charging and a flat profile so the thing doesn't bounce around one ones fod..

There were a few interesting little lamps out there but the batteries were tiny and failing after a couple of hours of use which is not good for those long Winter nights.

Yep I'm fussy before anyone comments :)

Help appreciated even if it's just suck it up and buy another expensive petzl. If that is the case can someone recommend one that fits the above please.

Thanks in advance.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Admittedly not a USB charged headlamp but I like the Princeton tec Fred headlamp. Red on first, with a variable light output. Not exactly what you were after but well worth a look.

Reactions: dwardo

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am not interested in rechargeable lamps for trekking.
But you should have a look at Lupine lamps. Made in Germany and used by most alpine search and rescue teams.

I personally am more interested in the US made Surefire lamps with batteries one can change, but didn't buy it yet.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am not interested in rechargeable lamps for trekking.
But you should have a look at Lupine lamps. Made in Germany and used by most alpine search and rescue teams.

I personally am more interested in the US made Surefire lamps with batteries one can change, but didn't buy it yet.

But the point of HIS thread ( The OP ) was that he IS asking for Rechargeable lamps. Not other Lamps.

Reactions: dwardo and Herman30

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
But my point is that I gave him the link to the best rechargeable lamps he can get.
And the link to the best lamps with 123A batteries and rechargeable ones too.

People may have different private opinions about other lamps. The lamps I mentioned are the first choice by officials in the developed world.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Tough set of requirements.

Acebeam H30. https://www.acebeam.com/h30

Has a main led, and 2 aux leds, one of which is red, have a choice of Hi CRI, green, or UV for the other. Red led is 50 lumens, and they claim around 15 metres throw.

USB-C port for charging, though it's only A-C, and not C-C capable.
Can also be used as a powerbank to charge other devices.

Red/Green aux led version is on Amazon UK for £92

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Admittedly not a USB charged headlamp but I like the Princeton tec Fred headlamp. Red on first, with a variable light output. Not exactly what you were after but well worth a look.
Ah one other requirement I forgot to mention and a big one at that, red first! What's the point of being hit with a couple hundred lumens in white before you get to the red....

Yeah I want it all I know..

Ledlenser® H14R.2 Rechargeable LED Head Torch​

mine with a scope flip up in red
They look very capable just too bulky. Can't see why they have to be these days but thanks.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tough set of requirements.

Acebeam H30. https://www.acebeam.com/h30

Has a main led, and 2 aux leds, one of which is red, have a choice of Hi CRI, green, or UV for the other. Red led is 50 lumens, and they claim around 15 metres throw.

USB-C port for charging, though it's only A-C, and not C-C capable.
Can also be used as a powerbank to charge other devices.

Red/Green aux led version is on Amazon UK for £92
Very cool. I just don't need 4000 lumins and the weight/bulk that comes with it. Also nearly £100 spuds..

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
4000 lumens only lasts for a minute in any case, generates too much heat.

Skilhunt H03C RC?
All the colours, USB magnetic charging cable.

Only red headlamp? Zebralight H502pr

No USB charging, but can get 1.5v AA batteries that have microUSB charging builtin.
Eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNI-COM-Rechargeable-Ni-MH-Batteries-1000mAh-Green/dp/B07RQM2M17/ref=sr_1_9

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
Excuse my ignorance here, what do you folks use the non white lights for.
Ive actually bought a usb charging headlamp ( branded Duracell impulse buy, £25) as part of my hiking/ camping gear. But the weather has been so bad these last few weeks i havent had a chance to get out and figure the best way to use my new kit.
Do the non white lights protect night sight ?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You are less visible yourself, and you need the red light to look into the map and can see afterwards where you walk.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmm... deep enough red uses the daylight cones and night rods do not "see" it meaning one retains most of night sight. The drawback on red is that it is not very useful in summer nights as green vegetation absorbs most of it. I certainly prefer a blue-green colour in summer that is the colour where the night vision is at its most sensitive and green vegetation reflects it back a lot better than red..

I don't remember exactly but there are some two-colour combos that enables seeing the full colour spectrum, if memory serves orange and green is one

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hmm... deep enough red uses the daylight cones and night rods do not "see" it meaning one retains most of night sight. The drawback on red is that it is not very useful in summer nights as green vegetation absorbs most of it. I certainly prefer a blue-green colour in summer that is the colour where the night vision is at its most sensitive and green vegetation reflects it back a lot better than red..

I don't remember exactly but there are some two-colour combos that enables seeing the full colour spectrum, if memory serves orange and green is one

I also prefer Green for night work.

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
Cheers, mine has a green also.
I'd never considered any of this, but I'm planning on trying to capture pics of night sky so it'll definitely come in handy.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
4000 lumens only lasts for a minute in any case, generates too much heat.

Skilhunt H03C RC?
All the colours, USB magnetic charging cable.

Only red headlamp? Zebralight H502pr

No USB charging, but can get 1.5v AA batteries that have microUSB charging builtin.
Eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNI-COM-Rechargeable-Ni-MH-Batteries-1000mAh-Green/dp/B07RQM2M17/ref=sr_1_9
Thanks for that. The Skilhunt H03C RC looks perfect and a good price to boot. Just need to find a UK supplier and for that price I will take a punt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE