The rabbit stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I made a post recently replying to comment that mentioned rabbit sticks

I was raised on rabbit sticks - I still always have one around for fun and nostalgia. A rabbit stick to me is the perfect dimensions when its the diameter of the hole made by touching the index finger to thumb in an "ok" sign.

For length, if the arm is held loosely at the side, fingers curled, it should tuck into the armpit, held by the fingers.

As a 6' guy, my current stick is 2 foot long and oval in cross section an inch and a half across the long side.

I make them from blackthorn - its hard and really heavy.

Throwing wise they are normally thrown spinning, parallel to the floor - out to 20 yards they hit really, really hard. They can be thrown end on through foliage, but don't get the same force so its a shorter range.

Happy to show pictures if anyone is interested
Some people asked to see what I would term a rabbit stick, so here goes.

Please note that I am not advocating or condoning the use of these sticks as a hunting aid, not least because better options exist, I am simply showing what I know as a "rabbit stick".

I think "stick" evokes something twiggy. This is in fact a rabbit stick

IMG_20220729_161652.jpg

It's made of blackthorn although hornbeam works well too. You want a dense, heavy wood, because it needs to be heavy

IMG_20220729_161615.jpg

It has to be heavy because it needs to carry momentum when thrown .

Each is sized to fit the owner. I make them oval to fit my handIMG_20220729_161253.jpg

For length it wants to be as long as your arm

IMG_20220729_161355.jpg
It's honestly a utility tool. You could hunt with it by throwing it spinning parallel to the ground, but it could also serve many other purposes - from a carrier for barbed wire spools, to a way to use the broomstick method on chickens.IMG_20220729_161315.jpg
In many ways it's perhaps a more utilitarian shillelagh, carried tucked under the arm of the countryman (or boy) who had nothing fancier.

There's quite an art in launching one hard and accurately.

Hope that was interesting, happy to answer questions

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Definitely an Oxfordshire Aunt Sally stick. "What me, Officer? Poaching? No, just off to the Kings Head to play Aunt Sally."
I imagine that such a tool was fairly universal! Does anyone still play Aunt Sally? If so, any chance of pictures?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I was in a pub last year that had the Aunt Sally set up, near to Reading I think.

Sticks seemed to be softwood dowel, probably advisable in these days of health and safety!

My great grandfather was a gamekeeper and carried a similar item I believe, obviously for rabbits…

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was in a pub last year that had the Aunt Sally set up, near to Reading I think.

Sticks seemed to be softwood dowel, probably advisable in these days of health and safety!

My great grandfather was a gamekeeper and carried a similar item I believe, obviously for rabbits…
Of course....rabbits...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's a while since I made one. Ours were bent or curved, about 24" long, usually slightly heavier one end than the other, and we 'shaped' the stick slightly to flatten it (it was supposed to 'fly' better but I'm not convinced). I think I spent more time decorating them than throwing them to be honest. I've still got my last one kicking around somewhere.

We would practice by throwing at a kicked football; I can't remember who taught us (my grandfather was a poacher but he preferred his .22 short), but we never aimed at a static object - always moving.

It should be pointed out that using a rabbit stick to hunt rabbit (or any other animal) in the UK is not legal (in the same way as stoning an animal is not legal). The way the law is written is a little ambiguous however.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE