Snake ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi guys, can anyone ID this snake found on my friend's living room floor this morning :) is it a young adder?

a4y3e7aq.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Jonathan D is the man for snake questions, but he said to me that if anything the young are more dangerous than the adults, as the venom increases in potency with lack of use, so young adders that have never bitten anything are possibly more dangerous than adults. However, that probably only applies for their first bite, I'm not sure.

Jon answered some questions here. You need him to see this thread for a definite ID. Try sending him a pm

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The head looks too big & long for an adder, if you're in France then my money is on a Viperine.......they're not veminous.
One way to tell is by the shape of the pupils, if it has vertical eliptic slits, as opposed to round ones, then you can be pretty sure it's a viper/adder/asp.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's not an adder....

And the correct answer is.....

Possibly a smooth snake

Except, it's definitely, not possibly ;) And don't worry about nests, they're not birds and don't make them, or have them. Well, except King cobra's, and it's not one of those, thankfully.

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
It's not an adder....

And the correct answer is.....

Except, it's definitely, not possibly ;) And don't worry about nests, they're not birds and don't make them, or have them. Well, except King cobra's, and it's not one of those, thankfully.

Thanks for that. Plenty adders but no smooth snakes with us, hence the possibly ;) I've only ever seen photos never one in the flesh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE