Smocks. I know I know but...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Overhead smocks, everybody loves them because they look cool. I love them too but, at the risk of committing an outrage, I'm i the only one who doesn't actually find them all that practical? For example? I have a old olive cadet smock, the overhead type, and I love it on an aesthetic level, but if I'm going out camping in the woods it's the army combat smock every time. Less of a hassle getting it on and off, especially when wet, but more importantly, I find it hard to regulate temperature in an overhead whereas with a army smock or normal jacket you can just undo it a bit. Also the pocket layout is better on the combat smocks. Again, kangaroo pockets look good but unless you want to stash a map, not the most practical pocket in the world.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Like my Buffalo Special6 but my Ridgeline Monsoon is only worn in monsoon conditions. Much prefer a coat with a full length zip.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Best thing you can do then, Inky, is trade your old cadet smock for my new combat smock!...............To be honest I think they both have their place.............I wouldn't be without my Bergans smock and I've only had it a while, but now and then I still reach for the combat smock, mainly if I'm off somewhere I'm going to need loads in my pockets and don't want to carry a pack.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I prefer an over the head smock myself, I don't carry anything in pockets so it works for me. My ventile smock has an added liner and it gets stuffy and warm if it's not cool enough, I've just learnt to wear it in the winter months though.

Thinking about it all my hill walking gear is over the head style too, I guess it's just personal preference

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I came across a over the head smock by Sord, sorely tempted to purchase and hope out. Most of my fleeces are either 3/4 or 1/4 length zips, guess i like over the head :eek:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I like my snowsled overhead as the zip goes down to about the navel and the pockets are jacket like.

My hilltrek braemar has 2 'compass' pockets that are good, the chest pocket takes a shed load and the hand pocket is a straight through affair that can take a helluva lot too.

I prefer them to full zips anyday.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I like my Swedish snowsmocks a lot; I think they're comfy, roomy, windtight yet never sweaty.
Cheap, durable and a great item to tinker with.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Full zip every time, unless you are spending a lot of time in torrential rain, and then it becomes a waterproofing issue.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Smocks, like beards, mark the line between men and boys. :)

Still waiting for Tamarack to pull their finger out and send me my Bergans smock. I've been using a Paramo Aspira smock for years but I may replace it with the jacket. Smocks are good when you are continually squating or bending over. With a jacket you have to be careful or you may bust the zip. If your life depends on your kit, get a smock; if you're just playing, a jacket can be more convenient.:p

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My favourite Smock at the moment is my Swanndri Hooded Bushshirt; though I will admit that the lining can be a bit of a pain. Nice and long to keep me cosy and the elements off. Belt over the top and pouch/knife worn outside as it is long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE