Smocks. I know I know but...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I have an overhead olive green Dutch army NBC jacket and wear it everyday it's waterproof wind proof and very warm .
I also have DPM smocks too which also see good usage

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They offer less versatility with ventilation, are a pain to get on and off (especially when wet) and make it slower to swap layers around when your activity level changes. Oh, and I don't like tunnel pockets. Full length, decent quality zips every time for me.

All that^.

For me the only two good points about them is the large front pocket which holds a map with ease and the fact that I can pretend to be Kirk Douglas in the Heroes of the Telemark whilst wearing one.
I think I need work on my chin though.:)
hoftm03h.jpg

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
They offer less versatility with ventilation, are a pain to get on and off (especially when wet) and make it slower to swap layers around when your activity level changes. Oh, and I don't like tunnel pockets. Full length, decent quality zips every time for me.

I agree with you in "normal conditions" but not in some circonstances.

When you have a rucksack or a pulka the hipbelt close your jacket like a smock. But with the smock and a deep zip you can have quite the same ventilation.

If you have a long coat, the zip is a problem. First It could hurt under a belt, and it is the forst thing who will be destroyed (when sitting or kneeling), even If you a zip with a bottom opening (lot of jam).

When you have big gauntlets in deep cold, a well made smoke is easier to put on than a jacket with zip or other small motor skilled buttons.

Here (on the right) a ventile long smock in finland from tamarack.

IMG_8102.jpg

(sorry for my baby english)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE