Smock with dropliner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 23, 2016
Wisbech
Hi, when I was younger I owned a sas style Smock. But due to reasons beyond my control. I had to get rid of it. But recently I have been after a robust and functional Smock, step in solo international and their long range patrol cold weather Smock. It does seem to be a good Smock, but does anyone have any personal dealings with said Smock or any other gear that is produced by solo international so as I can get an idea of the quality of there products. Also has anyone got any experience of using smocks with a Reissa dropliner?
Thanks in advance

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've never heard of Solo International so can't help with that I'm afraid, the smock looks good but not too keen on the mag pockets (its more pockets to search when I'm looking for something). There is a British army MVP lined smock, which is more or less the same as the windproof smock but with a black MVP (goretex like) liner. They're not that easy to get hold of but are very good if you can find one and cheaper than the Solo International one too, there are a few on ebay for around £80. Here's a link to one so you know what to look for, but they're out of stock here https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/mtp-black-lined-mvp-waterproof-1162611.html

Statts

Nov 9, 2016
Tynemouth
www.forested.org.uk
I've got the current PCS MTP windproof Smock and it's a great bit of kit. It's certainly proved shower proof but for heavy downpours I also have the lightweight PCS MVP jacket (think ripstop packlite goretex) to wear underneath. Bought both for under £50 via eBay army surplus stores.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If the Brit Mil waterproof smock is too difficult to obtain I'd go for an ARKTIS B310 smock. It has a waterproof drop liner and is just one of the best jackets I own.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
There are issue smocks out there with a sewn in black goretex liner. A bit warm in summer but brilliant in the cold. The old dutch army jackets also had a removable goretex liner.

Tonyuk

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I think the fact that the mil surplus windproof smock isn't waterproof is what makes it work so well as it is very breathable and so you are actually more comfortable in it on most days plus with something like Diver Dave's Repel it can be made very showerproof so on most days you will not need the waterproof layer.

You can use mil surplus waterproof layers but there are also commercial companies who do very lightweight layers that would do as a liner - a Regatta Pack It Jacket for example. The idea is you wear the windproof smock over the waterproof layer so you keep all your pockets, protect the waterproof and once the smock dries out after the rain stops then the waterproof layer is off and you are back to being very breathable.

With all this in mind it would be worth looking at the military solution of, effectively, two jackets as it works very well indeed.

Statts

Nov 9, 2016
Tynemouth
www.forested.org.uk
I think the fact that the mil surplus windproof smock isn't waterproof is what makes it work so well as it is very breathable... The idea is you wear the windproof smock over the waterproof layer so you keep all your pockets, protect the waterproof and once the smock dries out after the rain stops then the waterproof layer is off and you are back to being very breathable.

With all this in mind it would be worth looking at the military solution of, effectively, two jackets as it works very well indeed.

That's exactly what I do.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up R. Kelly,

FYI I logged out to take some pics and knocked out all my recently unread posts when I came back, so I posted a new thread on the subject - then re-found yours..doh!

I'm not sure it is the route that you are intending to go down but worth a look and others might consider it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE