Gabardine Jacket Query

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Bookshelf

Apr 22, 2021
NZ
Hi all,

I have a query about gabardine jackets/smocks that I was hoping other members could help with.

I'm looking for a jacket for fishing, walking and hunting that is 100% cotton, in olive-green (i.e. not camo), but otherwise resembles the British Army S95 smock/jacket (i.e. with baggy pockets and a full-length zip, as well as being lightweight, and shower- and thorn-proof).

While reading other posts, I came across 100% cotton gabardine. Is this material robust - in other words, as robust as the fabric the S95 jacket is made of and, if not, could it be doubled-up in thickness to increase its thorn-proof qualities?

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting someone to make me a jacket out of 100% cotton gabardine, based on the S95 one. However, before I do that, does anyone know of a quality commercial version with the above features? Earlier posts talked about the SASS smock, but I believe they're no longer made.

All the best, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Bookshelf.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German navy issued totally different looking Gabardine coats, long and short.

The short ones are called Colani like the designer family. But attention, there are wool versions too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Were they wool rather than cotton though ?
Wool gaberdine is very much showerproof, and it's warm even when soaked. Heavy though.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Good question.

I think Gabardine is the weaving pattern rather than the material description and what was issued by the armies probably was a material mix of wool and viscose, perhaps containing a bit cotton too.

But to be honest I just used them because that's a great summer material for fresh and windy weather.

For such complicated questions we have here a Technical Lesson Master, a @TLM.

SCOMAN

Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I don't know the cost of gaberdine material and manufacture but would a ventile option suit? They're not cheap and I haven't used the company myself;

Bookshelf

Apr 22, 2021
NZ
Hi all, thank you very much for your advice and replies. Scoman: I haven't got as far as finding out the cost involved in getting one made, but if it's expensive I won't go ahead. The St Kilda looks wonderful but is, as you say, rather expensive! If only a commercial outfit made a 100% cotton gabardine military-style jacket in non-military colours!

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.