Smock vs Jacket - What's the difference exactly?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
In search of enlightenment as per the Title (question comes from comparison of military items on Ebay). Thanks.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I alwasy thought that a smock pulled over the head and a jacket opened full length. That said, I have a smock with a full length zip, so I just assumed the word smock was used to sound sexier than jacket. "SAS Jacket" or "SAS Smock", which has the better ring to it :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I alwasy thought that a smock pulled over the head and a jacket opened full length. That said, I have a smock with a full length zip, so I just assumed the word smock was used to sound sexier than jacket. "SAS Jacket" or "SAS Smock", which has the better ring to it :)

That's what I always thought too, there does seem to be a lot of military smocks with full zips though.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Smocks like the dennison/ and windproof smock did originally go over the head, dennison had a 1 third zip ,officers used to have them tailored with a full zip, later on in the fifty's the later issue dennisons had a full zip and the winproofs had a full zip mod but i assume the name stuck, but yep a smock should go over the head.

edit seeing how the so called sas and para smock originated from the dennison/windproof smock id guess thats how there name originated.

Last edited:

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks - that is what I thought (smocks go over the head) but as you say they are now with full zips too.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
smock [smɒk]
n
1. (Clothing & Fashion) any loose protective garment, worn by artists, laboratory technicians, etc.
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's loose blouse-like garment, reaching to below the waist, worn over slacks, etc.
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called smock frock a loose protective overgarment decorated with smocking, worn formerly esp by farm workers
4. (Clothing & Fashion) Archaic a woman's loose undergarment, worn from the 16th to the 18th centuries
vb
(Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Knitting & Sewing) to ornament (a garment) with smocking
[Old English smocc; related to Old High German smocco, Old Norse smokkr blouse, Middle High German gesmuc decoration]
smocklike adj

Apparently.

I'd quite like a ventile smock in non-dpm.

Elmo

Feb 25, 2010
NYC
I've been looking for this smock/jacket [?] for some time:

IMG_2043.jpg

alas, it's no longer being produced or sold.

If anyone knows where I can find one pls e-mail me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE