Smallest cooking kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got a big ali mug which a pocket stove fits in. (its 9.5cm wide by 9,5cm deep) i can add matches and a bag of tea. Im going to also shorten some wooden skewers

a folding spork might be a good idea

what do you think?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you mind years ago we had a 'Show us your Hobo Stove' thread ?
That was full of such good ideas :)
I haven't used mine in ages. I might dig it out and have a play :)

The Ti cultery with the folding wire handles might be what you're looking for.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ye gods and little fishes, I went looking for that old thread (one of several) and it ended up 27 pages long !!

My own offering is on page 24 :rolleyes:

Lots of posts now meaningless because of the photobucket wipeout, but still good stuff in there.

Do you fancy kicking this one off as a newer version, Tengu ?

Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, why not.

i made a hobo stove from the Ikea sink drainer (how many of them are ever used for the purpose they were designed for?) and a snowpeak pot set.

the drainer has a cut out to accomodate the handle.

But this new set I am talking about is smaller, a cup, (sadly the handle is fixed) and a wee stove

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...623003&hash=item5227c358ac:g:6DgAAOSwRDVeF~Ji

sort of thing, -with a few solid fuel blocks it packs into a tin the size of a baccy tin

Reactions: Toddy

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Five minutes of frantic rummaging later....
IMAG3611.jpg

It's close but alas the smallest of those folding stoves are slightly larger than a stock baccy tin.

Reactions: Toddy

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
My small set is based on the Soto thermoset. I've added some extra pot cozy material. There is a foil windshield and base plate. I've got a speedster stove a diddy bottle of meths. Dish rag etc etcIMG_20200429_081553723.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
In the past i had an emergency kit that consisted a couple of hexy blocks wrapped in thick foil, some waterproof matches+Striker, an aluminum mug, and 3 longish nails to keep the mug raised off the ground above the lit hexy. I don't think I actually used it in the end (well, apart from the mug that was used constantly), but carried it around for years - i'm sure it would have worked through.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
In the past i had an emergency kit that consisted a couple of hexy blocks wrapped in thick foil, some waterproof matches+Striker, an aluminum mug, and 3 longish nails to keep the mug raised off the ground above the lit hexy. I don't think I actually used it in the end (well, apart from the mug that was used constantly), but carried it around for years - i'm sure it would have worked through.

It does ! I still use this way or with the Hexi stove when I carry a daysac

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a good idea but my folding stove takes wood as well as Hexy. Its just a little bulky for everyday carry;

A folding pot might be the answer but they look like a solution looking for a problem.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Primus 100 g gas bottle fits upside down exactly into the 0,4 litres Decathlon stainless steel mug.
Not outstanding light but very compact.

Together with this 45 g LACD stove it's pretty compact.

I didn't try if the stove fits with the gas bottle in the mug, because I usually use a larger 750 ml titanium pot.
And currently I don't reach that gear.

Last edited:

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Paul messner on YouTube did a little walk and brew vid a few days ago. If you are on the lookout for ideas it might be worth a view

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Interesting, I have a mk1 Crusader set and cheapo surplus store copy waterbottle, and think it's to big clumsy and wrong shape, I have a IKEA cutlery drainer never got round to converting it, but I just bought a yugo type kit hoping that will be just right for a brew in the woods while out walking.?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Not including bare bones steel mugs with lids this is my High-Gear "Hunter" cookset.
6"x3" 6.8oz ( 130mm x 75mm 193g ) Twenty years old this July and still working its way onto adventures every once in a while.

IMAG3634.jpg

IMAG3638.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE