Small Gas Bottle wood burner - Mk1 (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
While performing some long overdue tree pruning for my neighbour the other weekend I "rescued" 3 empty gas bottles from his dads old pigeon coop before it finally collapsed.
I have fancied having a go at the gas bottle wood burner for a while, so this seemed an ideal opportunity to have a crack at it.
It being fathers day and having a full weekend pass to use up I picked the smaller of the 3 bottles and after valve removal and filling with water out came the disc cutter
pieces.jpg
Then welded on the legs and hinge (professional welders please look away now)
hinge.jpg
Then a door catch, I didn't feel confident with the strength of the leg welds so I tacked on a couple of pieces of 1" angle iron along the bottom
clasp.jpg
Put the chimney on (stainless steel toilet brush holder slotted over a coffee tin) and started to burn the paint off
1stburn_start.jpg
1stburn_going.jpg1st_burnending.jpg
Every time I opened the door some coals fell out, so I welded a few small bars along the bottom (wire from an old bucket handle)20150621_192636.jpg, then a quick run over with the grinder and sander to clean it up and a few coats of stove paint later its time to cure the paint
the_end.jpgthe_end2.jpg
Job done. Happy Fathers Day ;)

Lessons learnt:
I need to practice my welding
Auto darkening welding masks are a fantastic invention
Coffee tins are too thin to arc weld without making them look like a lace doily
Put a baffle in below the chimney, to stop all the heat shooting straight out the top.
I want a second angle grinder so I don't have to keep swapping from cut to grind and back again

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice bit of upcycling, looks grand. :)
The good thing about welding is that you can tidy welds up with some gentle angle grinding and add a bit more weld if need be.

Rob.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'll never admit to being a welder but to me that's a good job. Nice looking wee stove, you thought about a warming rack for the top?
You going to use it for camping, shed, home?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
Nice job,made a few of these to make a bit of extra cash.
And your first two lessons learnt ditto. My welding rubbish but does the job and self darkening welding masks a God send.
Use the top of flue to cook on it works a great.
Piece of steel plate welded to the top make an ideal hot plate.
I've got all sorts of ideas for add one for mine,just waiting for some copper pipe to turn up to make a thermo syphon water heater.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
This one is for camping when open fires are not allowed, I might remodel it with a hot plate after my next camping trip. MkII will be for the garden, larger, upright and possibly resembling a minion, just need to find 2 Pyrex ramekins for eyes and get another weekend pass.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Or how about cutting the door so that it is effectively 2 doors.

First from bottom to 1/3 heigh which is left closed during use to stop ash falling out and opened for easy cleaning.

Second from 1/3 height to top which is used for feeding fire.

I have a couple of bottles ready for a similar thing but there are so many designs and ideas that I want to incorporate that I'll never finish! Probably do one simple one for evening use on the patio and another more functional one for camp use - somewhere to put pans on, integrated grill, water heater etc.

Stu

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"I want a second angle grinder so I don't have to keep swapping from cut to grind and back again"
I put a grinding wheel on an old chopsaw for this reason

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Weld a tab either side of the opening then shape a plate to fit the lower half of the stove. Secure the plate in with bolts or a folded tab that hooks on to the ones welded into the stove. That way you can easily remove it to clean out the ash.

Good job though. I like it.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE