Sloe gin needs one of these

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I was so pleased with my humble first atempt at leather worrk that I wanted to have another go. In fact I honestly think I could get to like working with leather as much as I do wood....:cool: I started 2 batches of sloe gin and one of sloe calvados about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and so I thought I'd have a go at making a small hip flask or 2, from leather, to carry "a nip or 2" when I go out :rolleyes:. Based on traditional leather bottle patterns. Eric methven posted very clear instructions on how he does them, it helped a lot. Made of 2mm veg tanned leather. They were formed with rice stuffed into the stitched bag while the leather was wet, then dried out. They just need hot dipping in beeswax to make them watertight and 2 holes each for a carry strap....The stopper is a champagne cork. Overall height about 4 inches. In the first pic the one on the left hasnt been soaked or stuffed yet...
sales488.jpg

On the left hand flask the stopper is rough carved from willow. But I will form the top of it into a peg shape and glue on a nice piece of burr elm or something.
sales492.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums
I also want to do one with a wooden neck set into the leather and a stopper that sits in the wood neck.

PS I have just had a taste today. I have never drank sloe gin before so dont know what to compare it to, but the sloe calvados is amazing, (it is better than regular calvados any way..... :christmas1:)
cheers Jonathan :)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice job, you can make the stoppers from rolled leather aswell, there used to be a tutorial on here somewhere.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Fantastic! goodjob

I think I would need one in XXL! :p

Mrs Z had a go at sloe gin but couldn't get it clear. She tried sieving it and filtering but it would just clog up whatever she tried to strain it through. Is there a trick to it that you could share?

Z

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Fantastic! goodjob

I think I would need one in XXL! :p

Mrs Z had a go at sloe gin but couldn't get it clear. She tried sieving it and filtering but it would just clog up whatever she tried to strain it through. Is there a trick to it that you could share?

Z
leave it about six months to settle and decant carefully when you remove the sloes. Leave another three months and enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE