Slipping around on ice!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello all,

Well it's certainly icy here! Having slipped and fallen wearing my Salomon approach shoes which have a pretty aggressive tread I'm now a little more than hesitant about venturing out on the icy paths and pavements to work.

I know there are small spikes that slip over shoes you can buy but I don't have any and would have to walk over said ice to get some.

So does anyone have any tips for improving grip? Homemade mods? Walking techniques on slopes? Feel free to share them here, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate it!

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well those slip on rubber ice grips are good...

I actually wrapped a metre length of old sink chain around my walking boots (not particularly comfortable ) but it worked pretty well as a temp solution
Also if u got some 1/2 inch u nails stuck 4 at toe end and 4 in the thick heel that works aswell

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Pull a pair of old socks over your shoes; when I was a kid all the old socks were in a bag by the back door and were used for exactly this. If you take them off as soon as you're over the icy bit, take them off - it's surprising how long they last :)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Pull a pair of old socks over your shoes; when I was a kid all the old socks were in a bag by the back door and were used for exactly this. If you take them off as soon as you're over the icy bit, take them off - it's surprising how long they last :)

Brilliant idea! This forum never fails to impress. Hopefully that will do the trick for getting over the worst bits. Thanks macaroon.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)

Brilliant idea! This forum never fails to impress. Hopefully that will do the trick for getting over the worst bits. Thanks macaroon.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
yeah that’s an old dodge :) in the days before modern climbing shoes folks often climbed in pumps (remember them) and they would sometimes put socks over their pumps to improve grip.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Quick update on this. Bought some Yaktrak walkers for 15 quid. I have to say they are certainly worth it. Only problem is having to take them off in patches where there is no ice.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Socks over shoes - I remember Joe Brown doing the first climb of Cenotaph Corner like that as the rock was wet and slippery - I think it was one of his favourite climbing tips:)
That and having a cigarette half way up a climb to ease the nerves....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Macaroon & Mr Fenna said the socks are great for this, it's one of the reasons that Dachstein mitts and socks survived so long amongst winter climbers. The grip on snow and ice is pretty good. SO saying I find it hard to touch them without setting my teeth on edge as memories of trying to pull iced up hairy mitts off with my teeth on a frozen belay are burned into my mind.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Socks over shoes - I remember Joe Brown doing the first climb of Cenotaph Corner like that as the rock was wet and slippery - I think it was one of his favourite climbing tips:)
That and having a cigarette half way up a climb to ease the nerves....

a pal of mine seconded cenotaoph corner last year, aged 70 :)

yeah he liked his socks and whillans liked his cigs, here is the last climb the pair did together, whillans died a few months after the film was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6CTK2hFvrw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE