Slingbow. Some information

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I posted a slingbow for sale yesterday and the post was removed as there was some doubt about legalities. I received a PM from Tony this morning asking if I would put up a post to try and bring some clarity to what a slingbow is, their legalities and uses so here it is:

What is a slingbow?
A slingbow is a cross between a catapult/slingshot and a bow in the crudest sense. They originated as slingshots that were modified to enable the user to fire arrows as well as standard ball ammunition. This evolution diversified a small platform into a very effective tool for its purpose.

Are they legal?
Presently in the UK a slingbow is legal to own and use for recreational purposes, however they have not been specifically tried in legal cases and thus no precedent has been set either way. They are also legal in most European countries as well as worldwide in places such as Canada, America and others.

It must be reiterated that hunting with an arrow within the UK is illegal under the Wildelife and Countryside Act as amended 1981 and slingbows cannot be used in the arrow shooting form for hunting. A catapult firing normal ball ammo is however a useful hunting tool

So whats the use?
Specifically within the UK they are for recreational purposes only. I personally shoot mine alongside practicing with my normal compound and recurve and have fun in doing so. In the USA/Canada slingbows are used as a very useful hunting tool and have even been proven to rival bows for hunting small, medium and large game.

What does one look like?
To answer this question none are the same. Most slingbows are self built by the owner, starting off with a catapult frame, adding an arrow rest and knocking point to enable arrows to be shot. This diversity results in many different forms aiming to achieve the same purpose.

I have spent 2+ years of trial and error trying to come up with a entry slingbow that is reasonably priced to allow people to start in the hobby without risking injury from slingbows they have made themselves. The photos of our model are below:

4pUSz9J.jpg

uK8jaTj.jpg

1Vg6zeh.jpg

4M4Mhln.jpg

For anyone also interested, I founded the UK Slingbow Archers Association in 2013 to help promote the safe use of these items, raise awareness as well as promote the hobby in the UK to enable more people to experience slingbow shooting in parallel to catapult shooting. The UKSAA are also looking to hold shoot events with the British and UK catapult associations at their upcoming events.

So please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Do you have to use a bow string release with that? I put a whisker biscuit onto my slingshot and found it was unusable without one, using theratube silver. Good idea with the paracord knocking point excellent work I've been shooting them for a while and theyre good gun and surprisingly easy to shoot with

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was never sure about slingbows, and not being that bothered about it never research it. A sling to my mind is a length of material where a stone is put in a cup in the middle with both ends held, swung round and one end let go to release the stone - I always wondered how that works with an arrow in it!

What you've pictured there looks to me like a catapult used to shoot an arrow. I think I was not understanding the meaning of the word sling used in context with bow, catapult-bow doesn't have the same ring to it:).

I remember reading in one of the Earth's children books the main character plays with a sling and a spear but ends up inventing the spear thrower.

Well that's one thing I've learned today........
I wonder what information that has displaced though!!

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Do you have to use a bow string release with that? I put a whisker biscuit onto my slingshot and found it was unusable without one, using theratube silver. Good idea with the paracord knocking point excellent work I've been shooting them for a while and theyre good gun and surprisingly easy to shoot with

You don't have to as the draw weight is only 25lbs in this configuration which is perfect for fun shooting. I do however have a manual release that I have made and plan to also offer for sale should someone wish to purchase one.

I was never sure about slingbows, and not being that bothered about it never research it. A sling to my mind is a length of material where a stone is put in a cup in the middle with both ends held, swung round and one end let go to release the stone - I always wondered how that works with an arrow in it!

What you've pictured there looks to me like a catapult used to shoot an arrow. I think I was not understanding the meaning of the word sling used in context with bow, catapult-bow doesn't have the same ring to it:).

I remember reading in one of the Earth's children books the main character plays with a sling and a spear but ends up inventing the spear thrower.

Well that's one thing I've learned today........
I wonder what information that has displaced though!!

The 'sling' aspect must come from the American slingshot as opposed to catapult here in the UK. They are very durable and versatile as well as good fun. It's dual purpose as well as it can still be used as a standard catapult with the arrow rest removed and a Slingbow with arrow rest fitted.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I guess that's the main thing for most. If you haven't got the space in your garden you would need landowners permission to shoot it when out and about

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE