sling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Yep slinging org is the the place to go.

I make jute slings and they go pretty well but you need a BIG area to practice in.

It's not easy though so don't give up if it doesn't work first time.. Start simple (overhand) and then work up to 1 3/4 turns.

There's some excellent diagrams on this site somewhere.

In the right hands they are deadly. I've seen a Spanish shepherd drop a ground squirrel at about 15 metres.

In the wrong hands they're deadly to so make sure you have good visibility, your first few throws could go pretty well anywhere.

I practice with bean bags but someone suggested potatos. Spuds may be better because bean bags deform and don't really prepare you for how hard and far a stone will go.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have made a sling. Easy to make. I don't think it is a good survival weapon, unless you have practised a lot before you need to survive. The throwing stick is much better in that regard, easy to hit with and the throwing technique comes naturally to most people. And it is even easier to make.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
bent-stick said:
In the wrong hands they're deadly to so make sure you have good visibility, your first few throws could go pretty well anywhere.

I practice with bean bags but someone suggested potatos. Spuds may be better because bean bags deform and don't really prepare you for how hard and far a stone will go.

That is very true, when I started with the sling one shot went vertically upwards and when it came down it hit me on the very top of my head :eek: . I'm very glad i wasn't using real stones, because it was winter i was using lumps of frozen soil.

Alas I didn't have enough room to practice so never got very good with it :banghead: , you do need a lot of space and time to get good with them. one tip if you don't have very much space try making a very short sling about 1ft or so. There a lot easier to handle, of corse they don't have the range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE