Sleeping bag season ratings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
hi, just been buying some new kit in order to go a bit more light weight, just been looking at some VSS sleeping bags which compress down very small and are jolly priced, was thinking of getting the 3 season one http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop....GHT+800+SLEEPING+BAG+SPRINGSUMMERAUTUMN+ALONE but for the same price i could get the 2 season bag which is smaller again, ive had dodgy season ratings before on some bags and just wondered if anyone on here has got one of these bags or heard anything about them, cheers
JAmie

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'm very wary of seasonal ratings. Try contacting the store and see if they can give you some temperature guide ratings, that way you can make a more informed decision based on where and when you're likely to be using the bag.

dommyracer said:
I'm very wary of seasonal ratings. Try contacting the store and see if they can give you some temperature guide ratings, that way you can make a more informed decision based on where and when you're likely to be using the bag.

the problem is that all people are individual on temperature tolerance
whats cold to you isnt to me and may be Kin Freezing to another
ive always suffered from to warm in sleeping bags in UK so old army 58 with a low fill is great heavy but indestructable othe than that new bags i normally use a 2 season packs small and light but obviously very delicate compared to teh old 58

ATB
Duncan

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Backyard Bushcraft said:
hi, just been buying some new kit in order to go a bit more light weight, just been looking at some VSS sleeping bags which compress down very small and are jolly priced, was thinking of getting the 3 season one http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop....GHT+800+SLEEPING+BAG+SPRINGSUMMERAUTUMN+ALONE but for the same price i could get the 2 season bag which is smaller again, ive had dodgy season ratings before on some bags and just wondered if anyone on here has got one of these bags or heard anything about them, cheers
JAmie

This link will probably help you
http://www.khyam.co.uk/product_other.asp?category=Sleeping Bags&prod_group=VSS

I've not seen or used the sleeping bags, I thought about it a couple of times as they do read like exceptional value for money. What I did opt to do was get the lightweigth bivi, as I wanted a small lightweight one anyway. The seems to be reasonably well made and gives me some confidence that the sleeping bags should be made OK but that might not have too much effect on real life temperature ratings. This did make me put the VSS bags high up on my "future possibles" list.

I did a lot of searching the net to find a review of the sleeping bags but came up with very little.
They were used in the recent Royal Navy Polarquest expedition, at least in the training I can't find any confirmation in the diary logs that they were actually used during the expeditions themselves
http://www.humanedgetech.com/expedition/polarquest/showDispatch.php?id=23316&exp=316
I'm taking a ( reasonable safe ) guess that the bag numbers 2,3 and 4 mentioned refer to the vss 600, 800 and 1000

That makes me hopeful that they won't be a completely misrated bag temperature wise.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
hi,
I have also been looking for a bag on the same site i was thinking of getting the Ultra Light 800 and using with the bivi bag the Khyam site rates this bag a 2/3 season, 5-10 degrees comfort and -5 extreme temperature.
I'll let you know how it is when i recieve it.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
I just got a snugpac season 4 and was so warm last week that i slept on the top in my t shirt and boxers till 330am in the morning when the beer wore off and i got into my bag zzzzzzzz :D :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE