Slack sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
Hi everyone! got a bit of bother with my woody and sheath.

The sheath is starting to become very slack, considering buying a new one but before I do I just wanted to find out if I can repair the old one in any way? Wet re-form or something?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oil your blade lightly then wrap it in about 3 layers of clingfilm, wet your sheath all over under a tap, pop your knife back in then use something to reform the leather to the shape of your blade again.
I used little project clamps and some spare rags to protect the outer of the sheath. Put it somewhere dry for a couple of days and it should be as good as new.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
Oil your blade lightly then wrap it in about 3 layers of clingfilm, wet your sheath all over under a tap, pop your knife back in then use something to reform the leather to the shape of your blade again.
I used little project clamps and some spare rags to protect the outer of the sheath. Put it somewhere dry for a couple of days and it should be as good as new.

Ahh I see! That simple. I'll see if those big black paper clips work!

Adam

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Make sure you protect the sheath well and that the clips don't leave marks on the sheath, would suggest using your fingers (trim your nails ;)) as when the leather is wet it gets marked very easily and leave little dents. It's recommend you use a blunt instrument like a spoon or handle of a butter knife or something.

As shewie says It takes a couple of days to dry out properly, and I normally leave the knife in it all this time, hence the oil and clingfilm!

Cheers,

Alan

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hi,

I usually wrap the blade as mentioned previously, soak the leather in warm water and put knife in. I then sandwich the whole lot between to pieces of foam with pieces of ply wood on the outside the tightly wrap the whole lot with bungee cord to squash it together and leave it over night (or you can put in a vice).

Then Hey presto it's a nice tight fit:)

Richard

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I like that idea!!! I've taken the tongues off now and its taken shape really well! Might wet it again to put some embellishment on, never realised it was that easy!

What should I treat the leather with? something that doesn't send the leather too soft?

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE