Skookum Bush Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
The hollow pins are Mors' idea. You can get this with 3 hollow pins if you want. They are for lashing and more lanyard placement options. I think there is a version also with a hole in the blade near the tip, another innovation from Mors, designed for shearing operations.

That's interesting, as general concensus on BCUK is "we have a lanyard hole, but we never use it".

Nice knife Hoodoo :D
Like the pommel / flat thing at the end, and it's a proper knife shape. Not spearpointy ... :rolleyes:

True, but why use mine when my brother has two as well, let's face it all's fair in the procurement of fine cutting tools:D, but I daresay that it is something to consider for a later date.

I'll write you a waterproof contract, if I can have a play with it :naughty: (the knife, not Neil's kidney ;) :p )

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
What's the idea behind the shearing hole :confused: interesting, would like to know more!
Also, what's the difference between A2 and O1? I've read A2 is more refined steel, harder, holds an edge better and less resistant to rust, if so, why is O1 even an option?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
What's the idea behind the shearing hole :confused: interesting, would like to know more!
Also, what's the difference between A2 and O1? I've read A2 is more refined steel, harder, holds an edge better and less resistant to rust, if so, why is O1 even an option?

Good question! Maybe this will help clear things up for ya. ;)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What a fantastic looking blade! I was so impressed that I have already placed my order for one. The question for me now is this: is there anyone out there who knows anyone who could make a simple but functional sheath beautifully for my SBT? I'm afraid that I know of no great leather workers. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

I'm not sure what the 'shearing hole' might be for - trimming stubborn toenails? I'm sure that the great man Mors would be able to tell but, for the moment, I'm going to do without it.

On the steel front, I'm going for 01 rather than A2 - something to do with habit rather than knowledge!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
There are a couple of excellent sheath makers here and at BB. Tiffers at BB springs to mind. Her work has tempted me.

Rod's sheath work is really quite good for a neck or baldric carry. Nice heavy leather for safe carry. I am sending my SBT to a fellow in Oregon for a belt sheath...Dannyboy leather. His work is stunning and of course local for me.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Oh no - I have done the same as Tiley, well almost, I sent off a mail this afternoon for a quote on an O1 with only one lanyard hole and asked about a firesteel loop being added to the sheath, I await a reply with baited breath - I have yet to tell the wife, I may actually wear a hole out on the naughty step for this one.......... Do I have a problem.?:puppy_dog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tiley,

I have leatherwork from 3 guys here Singteck, Rapidboy and Topknot. I would recommend any of them to you - check any of their work via search.

I also have seen images of Leon-1s work and Dougsters and both are good

Red

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Singtec does great work.

Or just try to make one yourself. A nice skill to add and not all that hard with the tutorials floating around on the net. Shoot me a PM if you need tips.

Sewed:
DSC_0700_small.JPG

After the wax soak:
DSC_0711.JPG

-Emile

leon-1

Tiley,

I have leatherwork from 3 guys here Singteck, Rapidboy and Topknot. I would recommend any of them to you - check any of their work via search.

I also have seen images of Leon-1s work and Dougsters and both are good

Red

Thanks for the confidence Red, I work knife in hand, in other words If I haven't got the knife I won't make a sheath for it. One reason being I can get a far more accurate fit with the knife in hand and secondly I don't just rely on friction fit.

If I make a sheath for a frosts it's because I have one to check that the fit is secure.

If handles are standard then it is no great problem, but when you get into custom fit handles then things change, contour of the fillet and the way the firesteel loop is integrated do come into play.

I don't do fancy work, I am not that talented, but I will work so that the sheath fits tightly until it is bedded in and then you get secure lock up.

If I buy one then i'll make a sheath for it :eek:.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for both names and advice. The knife is seven weeks away, so I'll have plenty of time to make an informed decision. I'm not sure about making my own. Cowardice is one reason, cack-handedness is another and a short fuse is a third. There are many more than that lurking in the shadows! I think I will rely on the skills and experience of those who know what they're doing and how to do it!:eek:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Did you order the SBT MK1 or the new carver size?

Rod's sheath should do you well for quite some time. A short dangler cord on it works fine as a belt sheath.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I ordered the SBT Mk1 and while I'll certainly give the sheath it comes with a run, I do prefer those kind of 'folded over' envelope sheaths, hence the enquiry about those who can.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I think you are going to be pleasently surprised by Rod's sheath. I tend to favor folded pouch sheaths too, but this traditional scandi type sheath is way better than most.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I ordered one. They look great IMO and the price is great also.

I like that they have the woodlore look sort of but they have a butt cap so they have the hammering aspect like the F1 has!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE