Skookum Bush Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you are interested in a guardless full-tang bushcraft-style knife that was inspired by Mors Kochanski, you might want to take a look at the Skookum Bush Tool, made by Rod Garcia. Here's a review by Schwert.

This knife was designed with considerable feedback from Mors although it is entirely Rod's creation. The handle is nicely sculpted to give you a solid grip without a guard to interfere when you want to choke up for fine work.

This is mine in green micarta.

skookum2c.jpg

skookum3c.jpg

skookum4c.jpg

skookum5c.jpg

It comes with a nice neck sheath but for hip carry, I chose a sheath made by Jack Mosher.

skookum_moshersheath1c.jpg

Rod also makes a Skookum Carver which scratched an itch I had for a full tang knife similar to the small red mora favored by Mors.

skookum_carver1d.jpg

skookum_carver2d.jpg

Here's a pic comparing the two knives.

skookums_compared1c.jpg

If you are interested in one, I think Schwert listed the contatct info at the end of his article.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I don't recall the prices off the top of my head but I know they are well under $200. I will have to chek my paypal account to see what I paid for sure.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm not a great fan of hollow pins or lanyards but that handle shape looks excellent.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm not a great fan of hollow pins or lanyards but that handle shape looks excellent.

The hollow pins are Mors' idea. You can get this with 3 hollow pins if you want. They are for lashing and more lanyard placement options. I think there is a version also with a hole in the blade near the tip, another innovation from Mors, designed for shearing operations.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
The micarta Bush Tool is very much to my taste, Hoodoo. Thanks for bringing this to my attention…and I was feeling so pleased with myself for going a whole month or more without buying a knife :)

Best regards,
Paul.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
But you made it a month. That's something to be proud of. :lmao:

I have been using the Carver around the shop and it's a superb little tool for hogging wood down. Been carving butternut and it takes it down well.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo, yourself and Schwert always seem to find some really interesting and good looking knives. To be brutally honest and not mess around, how much was it:D.

I checked with Rod and the current price of the SBT is $175.0 + S&H. $175 translates into 89 quid at the moment, so you could buy 4 or 5 (6 or 7?) of these for what a Woodlore sells on Ebay. :eek:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks for the article plug Hoodoo. This knife is one of my favorites. I spent a couple hours working on a rhododendron stick this weekend. I cut the stick a few months ago and have had it drying hanging outside under the deck. I only got a short crack in the “handle” part which will not cause any difficulty.

sbtstickfull6817is5.jpg

I peeled off all the bark and started tapering the shaft with the SBT. This knife just zoomed through the bark and peeled off very nice curls of the wood.

sbtstickpeel6872bq7.jpg

The crook is a bit tight cornered but the nice tapered tip of the SBT worked a treat peeling and smoothing the corner.

sbtstick6886ni7.jpg

I used a 4-in-hand to smooth and contour the head. Now I think it is sort of looking like a flamingo.

sbtstickhead6912lx9.jpg

I have quite a bit of tapering left to do on the shaft and some more head shaping before I stain and oil this one, but I can say the SBT was a very efficient and VERY comfortable tool for this work. This knife continues to impress me.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
More SBT pictures:

prototypes at the course
IMGP0040.JPG

My version in A2:
sbt.jpg

and

sbt-pinebow.jpg

and striking a spark with the firesteel:

sbt-firesteel.jpg

These are comparatively well priced using knives. Steel in O1, A2 or CPM-3V. He might do other steels. Mine is in A2 and the edge holding is superb. For 3 mm thickness, you can see that the grind is pretty high up, making it a mean slicer and the curve in the blade makes it a featherstick carvers dream. Spine is excellent for the firesteel.

The handle is nicely fat and comfortable, butt cap is welded on. I was on the winter skills course when Mors got 3 of these in from Rod. I spend some time in that week with the knife doing various tasks and at the end I knew I had to buy one.

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE