Skookum Bush Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Schwert, what steel did you get those in?

I'm thinking to order one. Is O1 the only steel that will get a spark off a firesteel?

Also, when it comes to taking care of the balde and keeping it free of rust and stains, what sould be used to wipe it down? I need something that's non-toxic so I can use it for food prep.

These are both A2.

Any sharp square edge will spark a firesteel....whether it is a piece of steel or a piece of sharp glass or any other material it will spark a firesteel. The steel type is irrelevent...only the square edge is required. Rod puts a very flat top spine on all his knives and they will scrape a firesteel and produce a huge shower of sparks perfectly....it matters not if it is S30V, O-1 or A2.

Apparently O-1 will spark with a true mineral flint (the rock), but I have never attempted that.

I do not bother keeping my blades stainfree. I want them to turn black as a natural rust inhibitor. I do wipe them down with mineral oil for longer term storage. This is food safe.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
similar to the small red mora favored by Mors.

skookum_carver1d.jpg

I like the way that one of the leading people in "Bushcraft" favours a knife that costs less than a tenner, it creases me up to think that some people need the latest greatest and he just uses one of those.

Oh, not trying to take the mick out of the one below it by the way, it very nice indeed.

Just a general comment thats all. Sometimes its too easy to get wrapped up in the product and miss out on the technique.
I have a knife I bought for £180 on 1990 that proves that:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE