Ski's Leatherworking evolution.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I know the query is way back but have you sharpened your awl? It should be razor sharp on the sharp points and smoothly rounded on the wide one (hope that makes sense it's the only way I can think to describe the blade shape) and then honed and polished till it is even smoother than an oiled baby's bottom!

A sharp awl makes SO much differance! - I can push mine through 10mm or more with ease ;)

your work is looking good though!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hai!

Yup I sharpen mine, stuggle to get the "sharp points" sharp as its so small and fiddly. The F1 sheath above was made using a circular awl rather than diamond shape one and seems to have done a fantastic job woudnt you say?

I just received another awl blade from le'prevo, smaller size this time as the other one they sent was making holes way too big so I'll see how I get on with that once its sharp.

Why on earth is a number 7 stich marker (Overstich wheel), smaller than a number 6? that caught me off guard and wasted my money! I need wider stiches not shorter! Maybe it will come in handy once I buy some thinner leather for pouches.

Here is one I made for my mora before the F1, the leather + template was donated to me by Blacksheep at the middlewood meet, who pretty much introduced me to "pro" leatherworking and gave me some good tips. Big thanks to him for doing so.

BS1.jpg

Still experimenting with how to blend dark and light dye together with poor results, I think i will stick to one colour for now.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
With stitching wheels, isn't the number related to the number of stitches per inch? So if you want longer bigger stitches you'd go for a lower number. Less stitches per inch. One of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm with RB on the drilling, tried it but didn't like the way it left the hole. it didn't seem to close up the same way a pierced hole does. Tadpole is spot on with the stitching pony advice. I found it made a big difference, and made things a lot easier.

Exellent work by the way. I really like the way the post shows your progression. I think it is really satisfying when you can look back on what you have made in the past.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thank you for your kind words.

A stiching pony is something I really want / need. Also, it now makes sence about the stiches per inch, so I guess I need a lower number rather than higher.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Im trying to get hold of some solid belt buckles, with two pins not the usual one. Anyone know where I can get them? Been searching the web but nothing =(

Looking good, Ski :)
Excellent tip above on sharpening your stitching awl - it really is worth putting in the time and effort to get it seriously sharp and polished.
Getting the holes in an even line on the underside is a matter of practice - I hope to manage this in a decade or so :rolleyes:
Also, try using the edge beveller on the belt loop before you stitch it down, and for preference, slick the edge down at the same time - far easier than tidying up after the loop is fixed down. I'm sure you can guess how I found that one out... :11doh:

Looking forward to seeing the next batch you make ;)

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
girth straps off horse tack heavy horse tack or driving working harnesses are great they are normally good leather and have the double pin buckle on you can get them second hand on ebay for 99p and one cut off your left with a good bit of leather .

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Time to revive this thread and update you with my latest leather work. Since the last post Ive been making all kinds of stuff, from credit card holders to phone covers and even a leather strap + handle for carrying a ladder for a photo enthusiast !

Anyway, way back when, I made a leather collar for my puppy dog, and now he has hit 12 months, I can see what could do with improving, to make the collar more stronger.

Old collar

IMG_6426.jpg

New Collar
IMG_6497.jpg

Detail :

IMG_6486.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

Based on my old design, but put the stiching deeper on the inside to stop it from rubbing, made it longer and wider as he has grown a lot bigger and used thicker leather, also it was stiched while curled so the inside leather is shorter then the outside, to make it stronger in its natural curled form when on his neck. Made everything oversized, so everything is tighter as we all know leather shrinks a tiny bit and gets soft when used in anger (specially after getting wet). Now its very tight and stiff, but it will loosen up in time :) Took me two weeks to make and now my fingers are bleeding!

What you guys think ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE