Ski's Leatherworking evolution.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Guys.

So it all started with me getting my grubby hands on some cheap leather :

P1020396.jpg

I didnt have any tools, so I improvised, and made this (all tools used are displayed)

1.jpg

then this:

P1020146.jpg

I started getting better, soon I was making this :

P1020383.JPG

P1020384.jpg

Now I feel Im ready to move on. Look what just arrived at my door :

P1020397.jpg

P1020398.jpg

Time to start making serious leatherwork :cool:

If anyone has any spare D rings or buckles, I need some for my projects (I will be at middlewood) I would really appreciate it.

I intend to make a sheath for my crook knife, a bushcraft belt, a pouch or two. You can make out my logo on the notepad, it was pressed into cheap bit of leather and didnt come out too well. Watch this space :D

Your comments are welcome.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Ahhhhh....no wasted long evenings for you then ;)
I love it when parcels arrive with loads of little bits in....think i'd have had a 'crisis' if that landed on my doorstep ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You're going to have fun for sure.

As for a belt,get a ready cut strap of bridle leather off the bay.
That's what i use for belts and it's the best for it.

Costs on average c. £10 but well worth it.
3-4mm thick.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I got this 3.5mm leather, and an Awl, but no way will the awl penetrate the leather! I had to resort to usign a hammer, and as you can guess I bent the awl. How do you guys do it ?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
After using the overstitch wheel I use a small 1 - 2mm drill bit and electric screwdriver to make all the holes and either stitch using the awl or by hand.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
but for saddle stick you need diamond shape holes not circular? Correct me if Im wrong here.

people use diamond shaped holes because they look a bit neater, but that's the only difference AFAIK, i always use round holes for saddle stitch and mine seems to work ok

stuart

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
thank you. I think i was following instructions a bit too strict. Wiggling the awl (instructions menton not to) seems to work.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I dampen (case) the leather and push the awl through using a thick scrap of leather underneath - make sure you dampen all the leather tho or else you will end up with water stains...........................
Paul

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks, that helped a lot managed to get my stiching under control, will posts some pics of what Ive come up with so far.

Question, how long should I leave the leather to dry after dyeing? It seems the leather has soaked all the dye up and I can touch it without any coming off, seems dry to me and I would like to apply some Carnauba creme. What is best practice?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I tend to leave the leather overnight after dying, but that is based on wetting the leather before dying. I found that with the Fiebings dyes, if I dyed dry leather, they all came out the same colour - light brown came out dark, mid brown came out dark, etc. When wetting the leather first (i.e. two minutes under water) the colours come out much nearer the description on the bottle. I also tend to buff the dyed leather with a cloth before waxing, to take off any loose dye, but, even so, waxing does always (in my experience) still lift off some dye.

I have had better results with the Fiebings Pro dye.

Geoff

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Well, its only been two days but here is a quick preview of what I managed to make out of the goodies delivered in my original post.

Bare in mind I was experimenting =)

P1020399.jpg

P1020400.jpg

P1020402.jpg

P1020403.jpg

P1020404.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
people use diamond shaped holes because they look a bit neater, but that's the only difference AFAIK, i always use round holes for saddle stitch and mine seems to work ok

stuart

The idea of the diamond awl, is to create diagonal stitch holes, so that your stitches are stronger.

They do of course look neater but that's a bonus!;)

In all honesty; the best anyone can do when setting out in this game, is to buy "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" by Al Stohlman.
It covers all the basics, explaining it all simply and clearly. It'll save you quite a bit of money in wasted project attempts, which is what you end up with if you do it all by guess work.

Drilling stitch holes is for philistines!!!:yikes:

;)

RB

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
here is my latest for the F1, let me know what you think, this leatherworking is addictive!

Also, once the family got wind of this hobby they all want a belt each now! :surrender:

Sorry for the low quality pic's, no daylight + shiny leather = pain to photo.

P1020481.jpg

P1020478.jpg

Last edited:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you got your diamond shaped awl from le Prevo, you'll find it is kind of blunt, I sharpened mine, and it will go through 9mm just a tad too easy now. Make a stitching pony, that will help with nearly all projects, oh and don't cheat when it comes to saddle stitch, get in to a good habit now, and over time it will get easier (and quicker Al Stohlman number one tip).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE