Skip find of the day.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My neighbours have been clearing the end of their garden and shed today.On the top of a load of old paint tins, dried out rollers, brushes and boxes, was a rusty old billhook. I knocked and asked if I could take it, and they said yes. Will post up some pics soon.
:dancer:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
As promised, here are the pics. It's a Brades 176, 9 inch Billhook. The surface is quite pitted and the edges have been badly abused. Also the Boxwood handle is split
in several places, only the ferrule and some string and tape holding it together, though it is still salvageable. Does anyone on the forum know anything about the maker, or how old it might be.
Thanks for looking.

010.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a Brades 'hook that was in about the same condition when I got it, and it came out very well.......I took the handle off as carefully as I could and put it back together with two-part epoxy then fitted it back and I've been using it for years since. I re-did the edge with a file, then a stone and some emery..........the rest I did with vinegar and it looks and works great.

I've got a few different things made by Brades, a small mattock which I use as others here use a hand trowel, a number of hammers, and I did have another 'hook which went walkies. Anything I've had of theirs has been excellent quality and worked very well; they're very well thought of on the vintage tool sites I've visited in the past and some of my elderly neighbours have various garden tools by them which they prize and have come down the years to them...............I think their heyday was from the turn of last century up to and just after the second world war, but I'm no expert.............Great Find!..atb mac

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've got a Brades 'hook that was in about the same condition when I got it, and it came out very well.......I took the handle off as carefully as I could and put it back together with two-part epoxy then fitted it back and I've been using it for years since. I re-did the edge with a file, then a stone and some emery..........the rest I did with vinegar and it looks and works great.

I've got a few different things made by Brades, a small mattock which I use as others here use a hand trowel, a number of hammers, and I did have another 'hook which went walkies. Anything I've had of theirs has been excellent quality and worked very well; they're very well thought of on the vintage tool sites I've visited in the past and some of my elderly neighbours have various garden tools by them which they prize and have come down the years to them...............I think their heyday was from the turn of last century up to and just after the second world war, but I'm no expert.............Great Find!..atb mac

I'm glad you said that about the handle, I was thinking the same thing, just to try and keep it as original as possible. The woman who let me take it, said it has been there since they bought the house in 1964. She is the second owner, and it was built in 1929. Thanks for the info mac.
I've removed the handle and ferrule, the handle is split in three, but it should be no problem to epoxy it back together.
Another pic.

016.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When I glued the handle on mine, I wrapped it in wet cotton string as tightly as I could get it by hand and left it for 24 hrs., the cotton shrinks on as it dries and acts as the ultimate clamp, working on the precise shape and contours of the handle. I'm convinced that this is why it's lasted all this time without misshap............atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Hiya, nice find but then you know I like billhooks a lot. It's all pretty much been said by others, bar one of the same model went on ebay recently for £26 sans p&p. Just out of interest.

Glad your going to try and fix the handle, look forward to seeing the restoration.

ATB,
Colin.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
as regards wrapping when glued an old bicycle inner tube cut into a strip about an inch wide also works as a great flexible clamp wind it on as you would a bandage and then tuck the end in :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE