Skill sharing weekend. March 12th, 13th, 14th, 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you intending to come along for the weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gailainne

Life Member
Mary

Might it be an idea to list veg and other requirements for the weekend and an idea of amount needed? rather than as said earlier everyone turning up with a bag of potatoes :eek:. leftover raw mat'l can be used by whoever needs them. People can pick one or two items to bring along.

I'm no cook as anyone who has camped with me can attest too, however I can shop :rolleyes:

nelly

Mar 4, 2010
Brechin
I have a few de-breasted chickens in the freezer. I think i have a few cooked & one uncooked. In fact I have a freezer full of good chicken stock & it would be nice to make use of & have the space back!

Just been for a look & we have:

Two cooked chickens minus breasts & legs (fine for a stock pot)
One raw chicken minus breasts with legs
3 or 4 ice cream tubs of home made chicken stock

Any use?

Apr 20, 2009
East Lothian
Hiya folks, wow this has grown, a slight change of plans for me. Given that there is so much going on at camp I will not be bringing the canoe. I do have a few new TOPS knives for sale or barter so could bring them if theres any interest.
I will be up Fri, Sat & Sunday. Miyagi I can pick you up en route if you are still up for it.
I am happy to help prep the deer if it strays into camp and also cooking and wood collecting.
Can a 4x4 get upto the top wood? I've a wee chainsaw too which I'll bring. Dont know if I'll get time to catch something for the pot though.
Looking forward to this, not been under canvas for a while.
Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm good point.
Okay, how about folks bring a stew pack along ? That's a nice seasonal selection of veggies but not so big that we're drowning in onions and neeps.
I shopped this morning so I've got enough veg to start things off.
Mushrooms, peppers and the like .........someone's sure to bring some.

Deal with whatever you like for your breakfast and whatever bread or rice / couscous/ quinoa/ noodles you'll eat with soup or stew or venison or haggis.
I've got Smash to make tattie scones, or if we have some grated cheese we could make cheese scones to go with the soup/ stew ?

That only leaves the haggi, and the tatties since they don't come in the stew packs.
One haggis feeds two folk well. So either bring a haggis or a pack of meat of some kind, ( sausages or chicken or whatever you fancy adding, is salami good in stew ? ) if your eating vegetarian do you want quorn or tofu, tvp or chickpeas ?
Potatoes...........we only need some for the haggis. I bought enough I think for the stews.

If you want to bake, bring flour, etc.,

Pudding ? We could make a clootie dumpling if folks are happy to keep an eye on it and make sure it keeps boiling but doesn't boil dry.

Or baked apples :D

Tbh I filled the big cook box so there are at least enough staples to make a good start in there already. Could maybe do with some quick cook dried peas and some more lentils

I would suggest just bringing food you'll be okay taking home if it's not needed. I know we can't help bringing enough for others, it's cultural, built into the bones, but we're only there for a weekend this time round.

.............I'm over organising again :eek:
Sorry.

atb,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a few de-breasted chickens in the freezer. I think i have a few cooked & one uncooked. In fact I have a freezer full of good chicken stock & it would be nice to make use of & have the space back!

Just been for a look & we have:

Two cooked chickens minus breasts & legs (fine for a stock pot)
One raw chicken minus breasts with legs
3 or 4 ice cream tubs of home made chicken stock

Any use?

Sounds ideal :D

cheers,
M

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Can a 4x4 get upto the top wood? I've a wee chainsaw too which I'll bring.

vince managed to get his peugot estate up there the last time, although i dont know if there was much left to the bottom of it when it came back down! especially with all the wood strapped to the roof bars, although he mentioned hes got a 4x4 now to, so between you, we should get a good load.

beats carrying it down! although it was a good laugh.

PC290007.jpg

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers gsfgaz, the wee mans 4 but likes his home comforts, i'll drag him oot soon when it heats up a wee bit & maybe there will be a meet happening. was lookin forward to puttin faces to name but to me you'll all just be avatars for the time being :).

cheers to you also toddy, i had a look at the rooms but to be honest i was doing this w/end on a budget & the room would work out over £30 for the 2 of us. just not to be i'm afraid. kudos to you for the organising of this, bet the intrest has been overwhelming but it hasnt seemed to faze you. goodjob

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'll be up early on Friday and more than willing to help out where I can.

My 4x4 has plenty of room in the back, raised suspension and armour underneath for helping with the wood.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stuart that's an excellent offer :approve: Russ'll be on site (probably been up the hill and got the stuff cut too :) ) to help sort things out with you.
I know my car won't go up the hill, tried it and those damned energy efficient tyres just don't grip.

cheers,
M

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I'll be arriving by about 10am to get set up..want to enjoy the day instead of rushing when turning up later in the day.

I'm also picking up a small chain saw so can help with the wood collection, splitting etc...I know chain saws are a bit frowned upon but I need to watch my back...usually killing me after lots of sawing.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It looks like me and Miyagi and possibly Gregorach (Dunc you coming?) will be up for the day on Saturday but not staying over. We will arrive in time for breakfast though so get the kettle and bacon on.

Rob

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
right then - I will bring the forging kit along

I will be making as much as I can - because I don't get to do much forging up here at uni.
I have enough steel for a few pokers and some high carbon stuff which may well become small carving knives.

if anyone wants to barter/buy the stuff I make that's cool with me.

if you want something specific made - a drawing would be great. also if you have some steel lying about and want help making something - bring it along and I will try and help out.

I have an old helium tank up here at the mo which I won't get round to using - so if anyone wants it just let me know. I think it was Toddy who had one of these made into a cauldron. It needs some one with a grinder and a cutting disc. Don'y have the kit up here unfortunately.

I will also bring up a few spuds and maybe a bag of carrots. will see what I have in the fridge.

atb
andy

Last edited:

nelly

Mar 4, 2010
Brechin
I have looked out the splitting maul (anyone can use it, if the shaft breaks, it breaks) & I'm happy splitting logs as long as my back holds out which could be 30 mins or all weekend. If I have a fire to watch I'm happy.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Shame we can't make this weekend, it sounds like its going to be a great meet, but we simply can't afford it. Looking forward to all of the photos when you get back.

Have a great time

Dave

R

roy1

Hi Mary sorry to say im not going to be able to make the meet this time due to work and changes in rotas. Hope you all have a great weekend and look forward to seeing the photos, im major dissapointed but what can you do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE