Skill sharing weekend. March 12th, 13th, 14th, 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you intending to come along for the weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Stuart f. and Sophie - Fri,Sat,Sunday.
Johnnytheboy - Sat.
Miyagi - Sat.
scottforsythe1 fri-sun
Stuart69 - Fri-Sun
JohnC, Jane and Joe - late Fri, Sat, Sun am.
Colin and Jason - Sat - Sun
Gailainne Fri-Sun
Salmoor Fri-Sun
gazmc2 fri - sat pm
Barn Owl Fri-Sun
Woodsman Fri - Sun
Stooboy Fri - Sun
Windward Fri - Sun
Paul, Graham and Gordon Fri - Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Rosyth
uk.youtube.com
Stuart f. and Sophie - Fri,Sat,Sunday.
Johnnytheboy - Sat.
Miyagi - Sat.
scottforsythe1 fri-sun
Stuart69 - Fri-Sun
Gailainne Fri-Sun
Salmoor Fri-Sun
gazmc2 fri - sat pm
Barn Owl Fri-Sun
Woodsman Fri - Sun
Stooboy Fri - Sun
Windward Fri - Sun
Thomas,Paul, Katriona, Jasmin Fri, Sat, Sun.
Beky, Mondo, Sat, Sun

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Johnnytheboy - Sat.
Miyagi - Sat.
scottforsythe1 fri-sun
Stuart69 - Fri-Sun
Gailainne Fri-Sun
Salmoor Fri-Sun
gazmc2 fri - sat pm
Barn Owl Fri-Sun
Woodsman Fri - Sun
Stooboy Fri - Sun
Windward Fri - Sun
Beky, Mondo, Sat, Sun
Nonsuch + son - Sat, Sun

FordPrefect

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen
Johnnytheboy - Sat.
Miyagi - Sat.
scottforsythe1 fri-sun
Stuart69 - Fri-Sun
Gailainne Fri-Sun
Salmoor Fri-Sun
gazmc2 fri - sat pm
Barn Owl Fri-Sun
Woodsman Fri - Sun
Stooboy Fri - Sun
Windward Fri - Sun
Beky, Mondo, Sat, Sun
Nonsuch + son - Sat, Sun
FordPrefect + 1 & 2 halves Fri-Sun

FordPrefect

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen
we could maybe do some of the tension trays, corn dollies and the like this weekend,

It would be great if you could show us/the kids how to make corn dollies!

Also are we going to have a communal cook up,if so what do you want me to bring along,or would we just bring stuff along and see what we could knock up

Ditto. We would be keen to join in with a communal cook up.

I would love to make it to this weekend, it will be my first venture into bushcraft, but have camped for years.
Recently had a few vehicle problems, but ive sorted that now (hopefully :drive: ) so looking forward to the 5 1/2 hour drive :eek: , I was thinking of heading up towards Tyndrum anyway for a few days for a bit of goldpanning, so its not too far away.

I'm happy to chip in with the hall etc, not sure what skills I could share? but more than happy to share what I know about photography if anyones interested (my photography website link)

Mike

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Johnnytheboy - Sat.
Miyagi - Sat.
scottforsythe1 fri-sun
Stuart69 - Fri-Sun
Gailainne Fri-Sun
Salmoor Fri-Sun
gazmc2 fri - sat pm
Barn Owl Fri-Sun
Woodsman Fri - Sun
Stooboy Fri - Sun
Windward Fri - Sun
Beky, Mondo, Sat, Sun
Nonsuch + son - Sat, Sun
FordPrefect + 1 & 2 halves Fri-Sun
warthog1981 Fri Sat Sun

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hmmmm, herself is on nightshifts and the farmers market is off the agenda this weekend. I wasn't going to come and stay over but maybe, just maybe....

C'mon somebody persuade me. :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At this point those who know me well know I'm having a panic.

When Stuart and company were discussing organising this meet we sort of had a thought of maybe a dozen or so of us.

It snowballed :eek: :eek:

:D Delighted to see you all, relieved that Comriecroft hall and chute hire seems to be well covered, but feeling that maybe it's not a bad idea to set out the courtesies, especially since there are folks coming who are totally new to bushcraft.

Firstly,
Welcome :D
Now come and say hello, and who you are, to either me, Stuart or Russ, before you set up camp.

Secondly,
It is considered extremely discourteous to use someone else's tools without them being offered to you.
Do not ask to use someone's knife or axe.
It's not so much the expense of the tool, but the work in maintaining edges. If the owner blunts or damages it, they'll fix it, they cannot be assured that you will fix it to their satisfaction.

Thirdly,
Firewood doesn't cut itself. If you haven't helped bring it down the hill, or cut it up when it is down, don't burn it; and be prepared to move yourself and your cooking from the fire when those who worked for it need in.
Many hands make light work :D
If in doubt, ask, and someone will point you in the right direction to help :cool:
Comriecroft ask that we leave the dead standing and fallen stuff, in the wood directly adjacent to the campsite, alone. They are trying to improve the habitat and ecosystems.
We fetch firewood down from away up the hill.
Generally there are some bags of firewood for sale, speak to George or whoever is in the shop, if you want to do it that way.

Fourthly,
I know most of the children who are coming :) and know that they know how to behave in camp.
For those who are new though, your children are welcome but they are your responsibility 24/7.
They *must* be safe near fires, assorted sharps, and other folks equipment and guy lines.
It is expected that if any adult sees a child doing something dangerous they may intervene, and I do not expect that adult to then face hassle from the adults who were supposed to be watching the child. We not only have sharps on site but archery, fires and tripping hazards. We want a good weekend for everybody and neither Doc, Sniper, Nonsuch or I want to practice our First Aid.

This meet is a mostly adults one, a reasonable bedtime for children that allows adult conversation to thrive around the evening campfires is normal. Please accept this convention with understanding :)

That's pretty much it :D
It's not a course, or a major teaching workshop session, it's a meet where many of us will bring along tools and toys.

Bushcraft is "Chill out asap".
Don't know about anyone else, but this week, I need that :D
See you there.

atb,
Mary

Gailainne

Life Member
Nicely done Toddy, I'll bring along hi-vis string to add to the parachute cords, cuts down on kids running into them at throat level :rolleyes: be aware some WILL still manage it.

If your not into cutting cords of wood for the weekends fire, bring bags with you, my shoulders are suspect so I always buy at least 2 bags of hardwood logs from the local petrol station, George also normally has bags of cut wood available for sale, btw that doesn't get you out of helping the guys get local logs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea :approve: I've still got some from Scott's tent at the Moot. I'll bring them along too. I've also packed the lanterns for the high point in.

cheers,
Toddy

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i,ve been talking with Mary(Toddy) about the meet and we think it might be an idea to have a communal cook up on the Saturday,rather than loads of people trying to cram round the fires cooking individual ones as it could get quite hectic.So what we thought was to maybe have a big pan of soup on the go all day so there would be something for lunch time.And i've heard that there may be a chance of a deer coming along also,so we thought if that was the case,we could get the deer prept and the hangi fired up first thing Saturday morning,that way the deer could cook away happily all day in the pit.At night we could also have a pan of stovies,or Haggis neeps and tatties along with the deer.Basically something thats cheap and filling so we can sit round the:campfire: later full and contented.

Now then this is where we are asking for volunteers to cook the soup and things,because there will be lots on the go in the hall.And Mary,myself and others who are demoing might not manage to get round to cooking as well.

We should have some nice big catering pans so no worries on that front.

As for bringing food stuff along for the communal meals,if folks want to bring maybe,tatties,leeks,carrots,turnip,haggis(veggie ones also) etc,but please remember if everyone turns up with tatties we will probably end up with 1/2 a tonne :D. Basically bring stuff that you will happily take home with you if it does'nt all get used.

Anyway over to you because am guan for a :coffee:.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
that's a great idea.

I would gladly keep an eye on the food cooking but I will be blacksmithing most of the day so that might not be an option.

On a side note - will people be wanting me to demonstrate basic blacksmithing? - I am by no means a skilled smith - I would regard myself a journeyman smith these days - but I am happy to show people what I do.

andy

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
that's a great idea.

I would gladly keep an eye on the food cooking but I will be blacksmithing most of the day so that might not be an option.

On a side note - will people be wanting me to demonstrate basic blacksmithing? - I am by no means a skilled smith - I would regard myself a journeyman smith these days - but I am happy to show people what I do.

andy

Hi Andy,yeah go for it,i myself have'nt done any basic smithing since high school,and that was a fair few numbers of years back in the mists of time,so i would'nt mind seeing you demo it for us.

Cheers Stuart.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
if your happy to do it andy i wouldnt mind haveing a look, also on the cooking front im no chef but i think it would be better if people took turns rather than one person committing to slave round the fire all day, prob get someone who knows what they're doing to kick it off and some instructions and i wouldnt mind takeing a turn for an hour or so makeing sure the fire keeps going and its not boiling away or burning.

Stoo

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
if your happy to do it andy i wouldnt mind haveing a look, also on the cooking front im no chef but i think it would be better if people took turns rather than one person committing to slave round the fire all day, prob get someone who knows what they're doing to kick it off and some instructions and i wouldnt mind takeing a turn for an hour or so makeing sure the fire keeps going and its not boiling away or burning.

Stoo

Hi Stoo ,you hit the nail on the head,we are not after someone to do ALL the cooking,it was more like just if you can spare a bit of time then every little bit helps.

If you get my drift :)

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE