Skill sharing weekend. March 12th, 13th, 14th, 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you intending to come along for the weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I'm more than happy to help with the cooking too...in fact I want to try the bannock as the first time it didn't turn out too well...will be bringing flour, dried milk ect.

Still waiting to hear if I'll be getting a deer or not...might be a last minute thing...all depends on if they're about when the guy goes out...but more importantly....is he a good shot!!

V.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was on the phone with Stuart this morning, he says if you do get a deer he's up for helping sort it out and the hangi. He reckons Craig will volunteer too :D

See how it goes, no one's going to starve, but the deer would be an excellent treat for most.

cheers,
Mary

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
i'm happy to help out with cooking etc, i'm no chef but as stated before if someone starts i'll take a shot at keeping an eye......when there are bubbles its boiling, rite??? :D

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
.On a side note - will people be wanting me to demonstrate basic blacksmithing? - I am by no means a skilled smith - I would regard myself a journeyman smith these days - but I am happy to show people what I do.

andy

Aye Id like to see please :) and Ive got something you might be interested in its a coil spring 2 foot long :) I,ll let you see it and see what you think ?

cheers Russ

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can I say thank you to everyone who has offered to help, and that includes those who did so by pm ? :approve:

It is very much appreciated :D If everyone does a bit then everybody gets time to do the things they want as well.
Mind you, some folks just like playing with the fire for a weekend :cool:
It's all good :)

I started packing the car today..........it's *never* all going to go :sigh

cheers,
Toddy

nelly

Mar 4, 2010
Brechin
My Wife (Claire) & I are booked into the field friday & sat nights.

I have a new tent so excited about getting it put up for the first time (is's never going to go back in the carry bag). I have camped for years & I have watched Ray Mears / River cottage type progs. over & over but have never put anything into practice. Learning about friction lighting would be great.

As we have never been to the site before or a gathering like this I'm not really sure what to bring/expect. I can bring a saw & a fiberglass shafted splitting maul & log grenade for collecting wood. I pinged my back yesterday so the maul might not be the best idea. Like I say, i'm not too sure which bases are already covered. I have a woodstove at home so i can bring the end of my winter supply if i have any room.

I was planning on going shooting (wood pigeon) on friday morning but the car has been booked into the garage to have multiple wounds sorted. I might not get out with the gun but if i do i'll bring what i shoot. I'll just bring the pigeon breasts to save littering the site with the feathers. Now that I have said that I will get nothing!

Toddy>>>>>"Now come and say hello, and who you are, to either me, Stuart or Russ, before you set up camp."<<<<<

Will you be wearing name badges? :)

nel

Last edited:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Hi Nel and welcome :)

is a friendly bunch, and if you wander upto a group of folks and introduce yourself we will point you towards Mary, Stuart F or Russ.

probably be round the parachute if its up when you arrive:
3166826053_426e91e050.jpg

Be a few folks in the same boat as yourself but just bring what would make you comfortable for a weekends camping, and any toys you want to play with or show off. Bottle for round the fire and a deck chair and your sorted!

Crieff is nearby for any odds and sodds you may forget

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
i am unfortunately not going to make it now :(, my babysitter has pulled out & the missus says the boy's too young to go out for the night at this time of year. totally gutted. i will get to one of these meets!!!

hope you all have a great time & i want plenty of pics to rub it in so i can sulk while looking thro them.

again i'm totally gutted, so close but yet so far, always seems to be the case with me. was really lookin forward to this as well, even bought a DD tarp in a group buy on here which is great.

oh well what can ye do.

i'll keep an eye for the next one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the bairn's really too wee to sleep out (even cooried in beside you ? ) there are always the beds in the Lodge ?
There are other folks booked in there because their children are a bit on the young side.

Tam, I think, since some of you don't believe you're fed until you've got something dead in your dinner :pokenest: :D, that it might be best to have two pots of soup and stovies on the go.

If we start the pots on the Friday night that'll mean food for the evening and a good start on Saturday lunch. It's cold enough it'll be fine in the covered pans overnight.
I've got a ham joint for one pot of soup, and venison ribs and shin as the basis for a pan of stovies. If there are sausages or pieces of chicken, or rabbit, or whatever turns up, that would add to the stew nicely.
For the Veggies I'll start carrot and coriander soup with dairyfree cream, and I thought a chunky vegetable stew with a rich gravy.
Folks can add bread or nan as they like, make rice, quinoa, noodles or couscous..........could probably make herby doughballs ? Need to take some stew out for the coeliacs first though.
Make a wee change from a big curry, though I have a catering tub of the sauce needing used up if folks want that.

I reckon that takes care of one day anyway, gives folks time to suss out the next one.
If either Vince or I manage to *acquire* a deer in time, well that ought to keep you nicely fed :D
Haggis and veg will fill everyone easily if the venison doesn't appear.

Any other suggestions happily received. If we're at our usual we could feed the 5,000 between us :rolleyes:

If some folks *want* to cook over the fires, brilliant :D but even if it's just everyone helping out in between doing other things, it'll still work out fine :approve:
It's not hard work, it can be kind of relaxing a couple of folks sitting round the fire just keeping a eye on the pots.
I'll bring the big girdle along, you can even make yourself a scone to munch with your tea :D

Just had a thought, Jonnno started a thread on cooking chicken on the fires, in the end he spatchcocked two and spit roasted another. Up to yourselves really :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE