Ski trip footwear - inexpensive options.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Interesting leg exercise routine. I used to just walk a lot and use the leg press at the highest weight. Added in the stepper for CV work with the added benefit of leg strengthening. I would do a set number of floors as fast as I could then straight away do the same number but beat the first time. It left my legs like jelly and I was close to vomiting.

I like stoppers because they're supposed to be second only to a good rower for CV workout. I can't use a rower because it kind of traps a nerve. Static bikes aren't that good a workout.

Treadmills with incline function are good but I can't use them. At the stride length I have when running I have no margin for error in foot placement. My stride length on all professional gym machines is basically the same as the belt you run on. I'm landing on the front roller then leaving the belt on the rear roller.

I was worried my legs would find skiing hard work but last year I was more tired from concentrating on technique and controlling the skis. Mental exhaustion showing as tiredness at the end of each day. Legs didn't really feel much

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
7 yo son, unlikely to want to go XC. Plus his mother too. Last year I said we could yet XC but it got ruled out. Said it'll be hard enough learning alpine downhill style. Turned out true.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Go alone. Worth it. It is not difficult to ski in a prepared track.
Plus, you fall soft!

We were taught skiing basics on x country skiing.
Like - easier to learn driving a motorbike if you know how to pedal a bike.

Balance, arm/ leg coordination. Stuff like that.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The good news is that there is plenty of snow on the runs!
And the other good news is that it is -3 in the village, and -7 on the top of hills.
So plenty of snow, and nice and mild. Perfect for you and your family!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It was good but had more issues then burst. Bigger resort meant bus to get to the pistes. Half hour to the one our son had lessons at.

Temperature was -9°C when we got there about 5ish. It rose to +6-7°C on the slope on a few days mostly +2°C most days tbh on the slope.

Not an issue because thes snow was deep enough. Top pistes out most days. One day very windy. One day the snow just stuck to everything. It was a real struggle getting snow off my boots and my skis on. Warmest day. Next day not a problem.

Our second or third day the bus only just got up to the pistes we used. Then cancelled so we had to ski down to next set of pistes. I'm a green piste beginner. I am not confident. I enjoy green hate red. The route down was blue with sections of red. Steep sections of red which one part was the end of world cup piste. Took the last slope carrying my skis. Not ashamed of that just very annoyed with myself.

Towards the end of the week the lift slopes got very bad. Skis got thrown all over. Not a problem on the green button lift but the steep, long t bar I struggled. One day I nearly lost my skis but got up, had a struggle down the steep blue route. Second day I lost it and got the t bar flipped out so I hooked it under my shoulder until a flat section I got back on. I was only one on my t bar lift. Only I got dumped off again higher up.

The snowmobile they used had torn the lift slope up and they hadn't kept it in good nick. My ski caught in a diagonal groove from the snowmobile and both times I had to ski on one ski then the other to stay up. Wasn't lucky last groove. During fortunately partner and 7yo son came off just above me. We skied a hairy red route down. Apart from me who walked the steepest part. Well I'd fallen twice just above it and really didn't want to tempt fate.

So two lessons last year and 51 weeks between skiing. I've part skied a red and skied blue routes. I much preferred the green route through the woods. Narrow trails you can pick which to take. My son called them bmx trails. Good description for them with their undulating and jumps and fallen trees to duck under.

I admit I struggled more than any of us. I'm not competing with someone who has skied a little bit before with more lessons who can parallel ski properly if a little improvement needed. I'm definitely not competing with a 7 yo boy without fear, low centre of gravity and 6 lessons last trip and 4 lessons by the end. I have no doubt he could and would do a black run if given the chance. So I'm learning at my pace. If that makes me look a coward I don't give a flying ....

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sorry to hear the temp was not freezing at all times, it makes the slopes ( and preparation of) much easier.

No, I think you did exactly the right thing. Being crazy and overdo it can ruin your future skiing trips!

Two years ago I got bumped off the flight Bodø to Oslo for 5 minutes.
They needed two seats for a foreign tourist that had broken both legs skiing.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was more worried I might get put off. I am not sure skiing is my thing but my partner and son love skiing. Almost did tbh. Was furious that I got persuaded up the long t bar lift again.

I don't think we'll go back somewhere as big as that resort. The hotel was a bit poor tbh as well. Geilo was small but more that big enough for us plus skiing from back door is so much better than needing a skibus

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It has its ups and downs Paul .. stick with it. I find the first couple of days of the season a bit of a drag what with having no legs and no coordination til the muscle memory revives a couple of days in.

Anyway, not footwear related, but I do rather fancy cutting a dash on the piste in one of these. Orange one if I can find one. :) With one of those old Joe Brown balaclavas maybe .. be great for easy going, olde school x-country/telemarking :) (and pretending to be Dr Guillame in Belle and Sebastian)

https://www.norrona.com/nb-NO/produkter/svalbard/svalbard-cotton-anorak-herre/?color=1125

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I was more worried I might get put off. I am not sure skiing is my thing but my partner and son love skiing. Almost did tbh. Was furious that I got persuaded up the long t bar lift again.

I don't think we'll go back somewhere as big as that resort. The hotel was a bit poor tbh as well. Geilo was small but more that big enough for us plus skiing from back door is so much better than needing a skibus

Yep, there are better hotels there, plus very nice cabins.
The size of Åre is why my family preferred other villages in the mountain.

I do not understand why you did not use the pistes in the village? I recall at least 3 lifts and slopas in the centrum of the village?
You mentioned a bus trip?
To where? Duved?

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rodkullen. It's where the ski classes were for kids. Still you could ski down to vm8 and catch the bus from there to kabinbanen before walking down to station. It's just that blue piste crossed red and even black pistes. It even finished on a red section. As my second day skiing for a year I had difficulties on that route.

Tbh the pistes at rodkullen were better for beginners too. Kabinbanen easy pistes are mostly blue and kind of merge with reds iirc. I decided I didn't fancy that. I really need lessons to get on now.

There is an even further out area the other side of are. Begins with a B iirc. Good for beginners too but lifts to the start of blue and green routes aren't clear. I think you had to go up one, partly ski down one route then lift up again to ski down most of the easy routes there.

Overall I didn't rate the whole resort. I didn't think it's one that's good for us. You don't know that when first booking it though. As our second family ski trip we've learnt more about what we like.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Would it not be easier to learn in Scotland? It takes a bit more time than a week a year, and it will be maybe much cheaper too?

Remember, the majority of adults you saw in Are started skiing when still in Kindergarten, and ski during most winters. In my days we had skiing every week in school, one afternoon each week.
The fysical education teachers taught us, plus parents of course.

My dream is to go skiing in the Caucasus.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm... I started at four (cross country) and been doing it for over 60 years...
:rolleyes:
and still sometimes have a feeling that I have something to learn

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE