Simple drawing software for making DWG files

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I want some parts laser cut from plate steel so I'm looking for some simple software to make .DWG files. I've looked at Solidworks and Draughtsite but they are way too complicated for me. Any suggestions as to which other software will make simple dimensioned line drawings in .DWG format?

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
you can use the Adobe DWG to DXF convertor, and use a gnu program like InkScape to edit; or design in InkScape then convert to DWG

(if its a one off project, download the demo version of auto CAD)

Last edited:

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
Draftsight is free and though it looks complicated, the basic 2D features you need are very easy to master.

I don't know what you are drawing but you probably only need to learn a handful of commands. If you find a simpler package than Draftsight you will still have to learn the same commands and they will probably work in much the same way.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Alternatively look for a vectorising person… someone who can draw the artwork into the a DWF from your pencil drawing… depending on how complicated it is, it could be as little as a fiver. Saves learning software and spending hours drawing… you'll know it is right first time and ready for production.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
If it's for a one-off project you might be best getting it done by someone who is used to using CAD software.
Is it for yourself or for a company? Is it quite complex or something simple?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
It's just rectangles and circles cut from a sheet of plate steel, I'll probably just get the cutting company to generate cut paths from my pencil sketches...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Same here… I work with different cutting machines everyday. If its rectangles and circles, just send the sizes to either me or Mike, and job done.

I was under the impression it was something more complex. Even then, its not really a bother to vectorise stuff… but I've given over doing complicated vectors… life is too short.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE