Silly Question

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
Is Oxford Nylon breathable???? sorry i'm looking for a jacket that will keep me dry and protect me from thorns and harsh use, as well as the ability to perspire my sweat and heat. Any recomendations? i did look into northfaces' goretex products and timberland jackets are they any good>?

I'd guess it depends on the nature of the 'proofing that was on it.

It all depends upon your budget...

I use a surplus Goretex jacket - granted its DPM but its got all the features and its a sight cheaper than the named ones. Mine cost me £60 as its I'm one of those sizes that's as rare as rocking horse sh1t, but you can get them between £25 - £40.

A friend of mine got an ex-police waterproof (in black), which was issued but A1 condition for £15 !!! from anchor supplies - there's no hood, but he wears a hat anyway.

At these prices, you can afford not to worry so much about the thorns - I'd hate to be wearing a £250+ named jacket & hear it catch & tear - I guess that's the other good thing about mine in DPM - you won't notice when I patch it !!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Oxford" is basically a weave pattern, can be found in various fabrics and is not intrinsically waterproof but is a tough weave.
Nylon is just one of the fibres it can be woven from and is a petrochemical based artificial fibre that is not in itself water absorbant.
The critical element in Oxford nylon is what is bonded/laminated to it to make it waterproof.
Fully waterproof coatings include neoprene, polyurethane, PVC.
Breathables include Goretex, Event, some PUs.
Take your pick!

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
If you are after something that is truly thorn proof let me know when you find it!

My experience from shooting and beating over many years has been that heavy wax cotton is the most reliable but certainly not guaranteed as thorn proof although leather may well be as good and have a longer life unfortunately neither is 'breathable'.

The only other readily available material that I can think of is cordura but I don't know who to suggest as a manufacturer for a jacket. Just goggled it 'Aigle Huntley Mens Cordura® Coat' might be worth a look but does not say that it is thorn proof and may be a tad expensive.

Pothunter.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Personally I'd save my money, but that's just because it's not breathable - and I know with the amount I sweat once I've built up a head of steam I'd be a dripping mess in no time!
:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE